Security in my FreeNAS server

Status
Not open for further replies.

xtec

Dabbler
Hey there,

I have a FreeNAS machine which I am using to share files within my network (only for this purpose). I am quite happy with my configuration and, as I've read many times in this forum, it is advisable to keep the machine running 24/7 in order to maintain the integrity of the system and the hard disks.

I dont intend to access my FreeNAS server from outside my network (remotely) and, therefore, I will only access the machine when Im home from the devices connected to the network.

According to FreeNAS documentation, if i dont set a gateway, every traffic from outside my network is blocked.

Thus, considering that I only want to access my FreeNAS from inside my network and nothing else, if i leave my "global configuration" section empty for IPv4 and "IPv6 Default gateway", does that mean that im blocking every traffic from the internet? By blocking all traffic from the internet, am I am reasonably protected against intrusions/attacks?

Thanks so much for all the answers

Probably the most important thing you can do is keep all the machines on your network up to date with security patches. So you will want to allow your freenas machine to download updates from the external update servers, and that will require that you have a gateway and some nameservers configured. You can skip the IPV6 configuration.

Local network security starts with your router - make sure that it is running the latest available software and make sure you have changed the default admin passwords.

xtec

Dabbler
In regards to other machines within the network, accessing the FreeNAS, those are all updated. Router is updated as well and the password has been changed.

But, when it concerns to the FreeNAS machine itself, isn't it more effective if I don't allow any connections from the internet to the machine in the first place?

I mean, considering that I don't want to remote access my FreeNAS, instead of keeping it all updated but eventually openning a door to attacks by setting a default gateway I would block all external traffic and, thus, prevent remote attacks.

I am asking that because, under the FreeNAS documentation, within the section "7.1. Global Configuration", it is mentioned that, by not including a default gateway, traffic from the internet is restricted and, thus, such configuration acts as a reasonable precaution against external/remote attacks.

Link for mentioned NOTE (section 7.1)
https://doc.freenas.org/9.3/freenas_network.htm

I would appreciate if I could discuss further opinions.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
You are much more likely to see an attack vector that hits one of your client PCs via a visited website or email or something like that which then spawns a local process scanning the LAN for vulnerable hosts... like your FreeNAS server might be if you try to avoid problems by only removing the default route.

I would estimate the value of default route removal as minimal to nothing.

If you're really keen on security, enable the firewall on the FreeNAS box (and go through all of the pain to configure it for everything you want to allow it to do).

If you don't want to go that far, just make sure all the services you run are configured for minimal access and that you never open port forwards to your box from the internet.

Patch your FreeNAS box as often as is practical.

Patch your client systems and use a good Anti-Virus with updates applied as they become available.

Take care when using your clients to visit the Internet, using a secure browser with a script blocker and only allowing scripts where you trust the site.

xtec

Dabbler
You are much more likely to see an attack vector that hits one of your client PCs via a visited website or email or something like that which then spawns a local process scanning the LAN for vulnerable hosts... like your FreeNAS server might be if you try to avoid problems by only removing the default route.

As far as I understood, you are saying that the flaws in security occur mainly when I access internet from my clients. I believe I am reasonably careful with the client machines within my network that access the internet.

Client machines accessing the internet:
1.Always use restricted accounts without writing permissions
2.With the latest security updates
3.All machines equiped with antivirus and firewall (all updated)

If you don't want to go that far, just make sure all the services you run are configured for minimal access and that you never open port forwards to your box from the internet.

Patch your FreeNAS box as often as is practical.

I do have 2 different accounts set up for freenas in order to restrict the access. One account can access, create and delete files/folders and the other account can only see the files (cannot write or delete content). Guest users cannot access the server.
Moreover, the only service enabled on my FreeNAS is the SMB (and the "Guest account" setting is set up to "nobody").

I am just not sure on how to configure SMB for minimal access, enabling me to only access/modify content for the 2 mentioned accounts (with the respective credentials). How can I restrict the SMB service for minimal access then?

Is this a decent configuration??

Thank you so much

Last edited:

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
You should certainly turn off:

NTLMv1 auth
Allow Execute Always
Zeroconf share discovery

on SMB settings.

You should also consider on each share to turn off:

Allow guest access
Browsable to network clients
Apply default permissions (although this may complicate your life a lot for little reward)

You can also consider using a Hosts Allow list, but I would question the benefit if those clients are the ones that will already connect the share and if they are compromised, there's no benefit to the setting... it would only help if another client arrives on your network and presents a threat. (also implies that you use static or DHCP reserved IP addresses for the clients that will access FreeNAS)

Otherwise, I think you're well set to be as protected as you can be while still having a network connection.

Safe surfing. ;)

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
By not configuring a gateway you are not allowing your FreeNAS machine to connect out. If your router/firewall/gateway appliance is doing its job it wont allow unsolicited connections in. The best thing you can do to mitigate vulnerabilities is to keep your machine up to date.

If you are that paranoid about security you can use a client machine on your network to download updates and manually apply them to your FreeNAS machine.

Personally I think you are making a lot more out of this than needed.

xtec

Dabbler
You should certainly turn off:
NTLMv1 auth
Allow Execute Always
Zeroconf share discovery

on SMB settings.

You should also consider on each share to turn off:

Allow guest access
Browsable to network clients
Apply default permissions (although this may complicate your life a lot for little reward)
-NTLMv1 auth: It was already off on my system
-Allow Execute Always: I have turned off
-Zeroconf share discovery: I have turned off this setting similarly to the computer browser service on windows which is also disabled on my machine

In my SMB sharing:
-Allow guest access: was already turned off on my system

However, the other 2 settings I didnt disable for different reasons:
-Apply default permissions: I left it as it was because, as you said, it might not be worth to change this default configuration (I could get into more problems than benefits from changing this setting)
-Browsable to network clients: I had to leave this setting on in order to browse my server files from my ipad. Although I can see the files on my windows 7 client, I cannot do the same on my ipad :(

You can also consider using a Hosts Allow list, but I would question the benefit if those clients are the ones that will already connect the share and if they are compromised, there's no benefit to the setting... it would only help if another client arrives on your network and presents a threat. (also implies that you use static or DHCP reserved IP addresses for the clients that will access FreeNAS)

Well, not being an expert on this field, I dont know how to set up a "Hosts Allow list". Moreover, as I could understand from your explanation, setting up that "Hosts Allow list" could be a bit tricky and not a worth measure, so I guess I'll leave it as it is hoping that my current configuration is reasonably and generally safe to leave my server on 24/7.

Thank you so much sretalla for all your detailed explanations. It has been very helpful to follow your advices and learning from someone who is definetly an expert on this subject. Thanks a lot!!

By not configuring a gateway you are not allowing your FreeNAS machine to connect out. If your router/firewall/gateway appliance is doing its job it won't allow unsolicited connections in. The best thing you can do to mitigate vulnerabilities is to keep your machine up to date.

If you are that paranoid about security you can use a client machine on your network to download updates and manually apply them to your FreeNAS machine.

Personally I think you are making a lot more out of this than needed.

Thank you so much Jailer for your reply. I do understand that it is advisable to keep my FreeNAS update and, therefore, set up a default gateway so that I can connect my FreeNAS to the internet. In spite of that, I feel a bit curious on why the default setting of FreeNAS is not to set a default gateway (and in documentation it is said that default gateway is left blank for precaution reasons). So, I guess this is a matter of a trade off between having the server with the latest updates and blocking all outside connections.

Could I set up a default gateway for like the time I manually update my machine?

I mean, could I define a default gateway, go to manual update and update te machine and then (with freenas updated) I would remove again the default gateway??

This way, I would periodically update the machine without leaving it open to recieve connections 24/7.

About taking too seriously this seurity thing, is not that I am trying to guarantee 100%the safety of the server, but I think that if I can make it a little safer just by changing small settings, I think it's worthy for a little more of peace of mind.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
xtec said:
Could I set up a default gateway for like the time I manually update my machine?

I mean, could I define a default gateway, go to manual update and update te machine and then (with freenas updated) I would remove again the default gateway??

This way, I would periodically update the machine without leaving it open to recieve connections 24/7.

You could. I don't think you should.

Technically your machine isn't any less open to receive connections without a default gateway (UDP packets don't require a default gateway to come in), rather it will be unable to reply to that connection (but that doesn't mean that the packet [that really should have been blocked by your router/firewall in any case] arriving in your system won't deliver enough code to take over and open up the default gateway on its own... we're really in government-level espionage/targeted expert hacking territory here).

As @Jailer has mentioned, your router should be preventing anything on the Internet just deciding to talk to your FreeNAS box unsolicited and you should be able to safely allow your FreeNAS box to talk out when it needs to (checking for updates as a minimum).

The most secure system you can have is in a locked room with no network and where nobody has the key... it's also powered off and completely useless. I don't see the point of attaining perfect security. I prefer using my computers.

You seem very concerned by security... is somebody specifically targeting you or are you storing information of great importance to mankind?

xtec

Dabbler
You could. I don't think you should.
Technically your machine isn't any less open to receive connections without a default gateway (UDP packets don't require a default gateway to come in), rather it will be unable to reply to that connection (but that doesn't mean that the packet [that really should have been blocked by your router/firewall in any case] arriving in your system won't deliver enough code to take over and open up the default gateway on its own... we're really in government-level espionage/targeted expert hacking territory here).

Im sorry i dont understand what do you mean... Do you think I should set a default gateway so that i can get updates? if so, all i need to do to get the machine updated is to set a default gateway or do I need other options on, in order to have my FreeNAS updated? Im sorry for my dumb questions but im really not an expert on this and the default configuration of FreeNAS is without a default gateway (which makes me think that people who dont know much about networks and/or FreeNAS configurations, normally stay with their FreeNAS machines outdated).

The most secure system you can have is in a locked room with no network and where nobody has the key... it's also powered off and completely useless. I don't see the point of attaining perfect security. I prefer using my computers.

I do understand that and thats why Im not trying to make my FreeNAS machine inaccessibe even for me (by making for example impossible for my ipad to see my files)... Im just trying to have a reasonably safe configuration considering that I can still do what I inttend to do with my FreeNAS which simply is to share files among cients within my house/network.

You seem very concerned by security... is somebody specifically targeting you or are you storing information of great importance to mankind?

No not at all.... the thing is that, this is the first time I set up a machine to act as a server. Although I've assembled, configured and maintain computers for years, network subjects are really not something Im good at (Im a total noob at this).

I was just worried because my machine is on 24/7 and though I dont want/need it to be so safe that it becomes a useless machine, I rather not leave it all open with no security at all if I have the chance. If I can make it a little more safer and still be able to use my server for sharing files among my machines at home I think thats the way to go. And learning more about this subject of networks and connectivity (which I really dont know much about) is always a big plus for me :)

sretalla