Wireless security problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

karnalta

Dabbler
Hi all,

I am trying to configure my FreeNAS system but I came on a problem where I will need help ^^

I'd like to insert my NAS in my network via wireless, so I have configured static IP for the wireless interface and also the Gateway and DNS ip address. Now I need to setup the WPA security.

I have found this guide to do it but it doesn't seem to work ..

Can someone tell me how to do it ?

My goal is to give FreeNAS a internet access (for p2p, remote access, ..) with the wireless adapter and keep the gigabit ethernet directly linked with my main computer for gigabit file transfer (my network is not gigabit).

karnalta

Dabbler
Thank but I don't only need a switch, I need a full gigabit router, because my internet box is not gigabit. I should use it only as a modem and do the routing with a gigabit router.

if you have a modem and a router already, just get the switch, plug all your gigabit equipment into it, then connect your router to the gigabit switch.

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi karnalta,

matthewowen01's suggestion is spot-on. Get a switch with enough ports for your clients, connect it to your router and connect the client to the switch. You will get much better performance than you would over wireless without the headaches.

-Will

karnalta

Dabbler
I don't really understand, my current internet box is a modem/router 100Mb, if I just plug a Gigabit switch in front of it, I will still be in 100Mb, right ?

Because the gateway used to know the IP address between computer is the Modem/Router address, so every network traffic will pass through it anyway ?

here is a diagram. it's crude, but it's 2 am and I'm not an artist.

all your computers will talk at gigabit speeds (provided they have gigabit nics) and will communicate to your router at 100mb/s.

Attachments

• networkDiagram.jpg
    networkDiagram.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 317

karnalta

Dabbler
Ok I see, but I didn't know computer could talk to each other just by a switch without having to pass through a router.

Thank you.

routers are only needed to communicate across subnets. everything internal to your network is on it's own subnet (192.168.1.0/24 most likely).

Status
Not open for further replies.