Securing with VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

swbartley

Explorer
Ok I have read a few things about locking down freenas and I'm a little confused and I need some help. My first question is should I use my router which has VPN capabilities but not configured or is there something else that I should be using to give me more security. I read a post that someone installed pfsense in a jail but I'm not sure if that's recommended or not. My second question is how do you use owncloud or Plex without forwarding out any ports on your router and still get access away from home?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I'm moving this to off-topic since it's not directly about supporting FreeNAS. General IT-related questions are best served in off-topic.

As for your answers, how you setup the VPN is very much a personal choice. I use pfsense as my router and use the OpenVPN feature to do VPN services.

I access my owncloud and plex through the VPN. After all, that's precisely *why* you setup a VPN.

swbartley

Explorer
I'm moving this to off-topic since it's not directly about supporting FreeNAS. General IT-related questions are best served in off-topic.

As for your answers, how you setup the VPN is very much a personal choice. I use pfsense as my router and use the OpenVPN feature to do VPN services.

I access my owncloud and plex through the VPN. After all, that's precisely *why* you setup a VPN.

Ok thanks for the reply I need to dig a little deeper into your response you gave. I currently have VPN services i'm using on my main computer(windows) but I need to figure out a way to get my nas box behind it too. I'm really asking is it a good idea to install pfsence in a jail or any other VPN service in freenas or do I just connect it at my router and let it go. I ask this because I want to get the most out of freenas and all this server grade hardware I spent $$$ on and not have to build another computer just to run a VPN unless there is some compelling reason why I should.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Once you've got VPN services setup on your network, it should work for your entire network. That's why it's called a "Virtual Private Network".

You can't install pfsense in a jail. It requires it's own discrete hardware or a type-1 hypervisor.

laspo

Cadet
Hi,
I don't want to highjack this topic but it seems very related.
After reading a lot on the internet, I begin to understand the concept and use of a VPN. It seems a bit of a must when using torrent application. And it adds some more security to usenet (sabnzdb). But I know there are VPN services with a monthly fee, and there is OpenVPN.
Can someone explain me what the difference is between setting up your own OpenVPN or using a service (for example: Private Internet Access)?
Is the service more secure? Or do you need both?

Thanks in advance

Grymok

Dabbler
My question relies closely to laspo question.

If I want my network secured with vpn,I have to buy a service like vyprvpn and connect to their servers with OpenVPN.
I did that with my router, but it's waaay to weak to give me proper performance to match my 100/100 Mbit/s. My PC can make speeds of up to 85/85 on openvpn.
So I'm wondering how to get my network under a vpn or another service, when using p2p.

Yet to run a FreeNAS box, but when I buy it, it's gonna run torrents. So I want some security.

Hope some people can advise me and laspo :smile:

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

Nindustries

Patron
Hi,
I don't want to highjack this topic but it seems very related.
After reading a lot on the internet, I begin to understand the concept and use of a VPN. It seems a bit of a must when using torrent application. And it adds some more security to usenet (sabnzdb). But I know there are VPN services with a monthly fee, and there is OpenVPN.
Can someone explain me what the difference is between setting up your own OpenVPN or using a service (for example: Private Internet Access)?
Is the service more secure? Or do you need both?

Thanks in advance

You and Grymok are confusing setting up a personal VPN and the commercial services.
Essentially, it's the same except you pay a fee to access the VPN server of a company instead of your own VPN server.
When should you buy access to a VPN? When you want increased anonimity and more encrypted traffic for for example torrenting.
When should you setup your own VPN server? When you want secure access to your home network from a distance. (instead of just forwarding ports)

Grymok

Dabbler
Thanks for clarifying that nind.
Then I will run the openvpn client on the FreeNAS, as a router can't handle the cpu stress.

Grymok

Dabbler
No I mean client to connect to vyrpvpn s servers to be anonymous.
How will you else connect to a vpn provider?

Grymok

Dabbler
Could you pm me on how you would set it up?.
I have searched the net, and everywhere it just says connect to a vpn, so I'm convinced it that's what I have to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.