Apps static IP to allow VPN passthrough

MadMan3353

Dabbler
Im sure this has been asked but i cant find the solution for my specific use case. I am using pfsense with PIA VPN securing all traffic to my house. I have it set up now where i have some Host bypassing the VPN so that i can access streaming services. I would prefer not to have my Truenas scale server bypass the VPN since i have other apps i would like to keep secure. So the question is can i set up apps like PLEX to have a seperate static ip address that can be passed through the host machine so that i can put its IP address on the bypass VPN list within the pfsense router? if so how could that be done? The issue im having is cannot have remote access to the plex unless its not behind the VPN and the only way to do that is have the whole truenas server bypass the VPN which i do not want to do.

SnoppyFloppy

Explorer
I assume you wanna be able to access your plex instance from the internet without having to connect via a local VPN server, correct?

While I personally don't want to expose any of my apps to the internet that is of course your choice entirely and I guess that if you want to give access to alot of family and friends it might not be realistic to ask everyone to connect via vpn.

You could use truecharts MetalLB load balancer to give Plex any IP from your local subnet outside your dhcp range. That should make it very easy to make it bypass your vpn gateway.

SnoppyFloppy

Explorer