qBittorrent IP static, internet traffic goes over WAN instead of VPN PfSense

Yohund

Cadet
Hello, after 8 years using TrueNAS Core I switched to the SCALE version to take advantage of the native docker implementation.

I have a point of incomprehension about network management, I installed the qbittorrent-nox container and assigned a static IP address (192.168.100.11/24), I found that qbittorrent worked very well I can access the WebGUI from my PC which is on the same LAN network.

I have a PfSense firewall on which I manage my entire network with 3 GW, GW1 = WAN, GW2 = OVPN client, GW 3 = Wireguard client. With TrueNAS Core, all I had to do was create a rule to pass internet traffic from qbittorrent to GW3, and the ipleaks test showed me the ip of my VPN.

In the case of TrueNAS SCALE despite a static IP configured and the ability to access the WebGUI from my PC, when I do the same test ipleaks I see that qbittorrent displays my real IP. After several tests I've noticed that if I set the rule to forward internet traffic to GW1 on the NAS IP (192.168.100.10) qbittorrent then shows me the VPN IP.

To sum up, on SCALE qbittorrent is accessible from its Static IP (192.168.100.11) but it receives internet traffic from the NAS IP (192.168.100.10) which does not go through the VPN.

I did a lot of research, and read a few articles by people who had the same problem, in the end the answer was always that all traffic had to go through the NAS interface, but these articles date from 2021-2022 and I understood that the possibility of adding a Static IP to a container was not possible at that time.

So my question is, is it possible to receive internet traffic from my PfSense VPN client on the static ip of the qbittorrent container (192.168.100.11) instead of internet traffic from TrueNAS (192.168.100.10) which I don't want to encrypt.

Below is a screenshot of my qbittorrent configuration. If you need more information, please don't hesitate to ask me, as at the moment I don't know what other information would be relevant to pass on to you.

FireShot Capture 070 - TrueNAS - 192.168.100.10 - 192.168.100.10.png

sbjerome

Cadet
Hi YoHund, did you ever figure this out? Im running into t a similar issue in where I have my own DNS Server, and in trying to assign a a stattic IP to the TrueCharts or TrueNAS copy of qBittorrent, neither one allows that traffic to the static IP. it seems locked to the TrueNAS IP which I also don't want.

Yohund

Cadet
Hi YoHund, did you ever figure this out? Im running into t a similar issue in where I have my own DNS Server, and in trying to assign a a stattic IP to the TrueCharts or TrueNAS copy of qBittorrent, neither one allows that traffic to the static IP. it seems locked to the TrueNAS IP which I also don't want.
Hello sbjerome, I turned the problem in all directions and I did not find the solution, from what I understood the network support by Kubernetes makes limited configuration possibilities, Since I couldn't find a solution and noticed that there were bugs that made the container consoles and logs inaccessible, I decided to make a radical change and switched to unRAID. Now I don't have any problems, everything works fine and docker is perfectly implemented.

FrankWard

Explorer
My solution was to create a VM in TrueNAS to handle all of this which works perfectly.