scared to use freeNAS after reading all the guides :(, (setup help)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy22

Dabbler
Hi,

i did just finish the powerpoint presentation for the freeNAS guide for noobs. I also just finished to install and test BTSync on freeNAS, nas4Free and openmediavault in a virtual KVM VPS.

Preface: I want to switch a small PlasticSCM + FirebirdDB server used as coding repo over to something more stable and maintenance free, while i also want to switch from dropbox to BTSync (more of a hobby project).

We used cheap desktop hardware on the local PlasticSCM server, since we use Crashplan already and have data in the range of 100-500GB there. So this was build with the expectation that the single 1TB disk might fail some day, but Crashplan comes to the rescue and having 1-2 day to redownload/setup is acceptable.

I guess we are not the typical freeNAS, raid + ZFS users, but i still like the idea of freeNAS, since it looks stable and low maintenance, while providing a nice user interface. So instead of using my usual CentOS 6.5 or Ubuntuu Server + Webmin, i was looking into NAS distros and stumbled across those 3, while freeNAS impressed me the most so far.

Questions:

1) So far i gathered that we should not use ZFS at all, since it provides no benefits in our cases (1x TB Disk + 4GB Ram), as PlasticSCM server or as BTSync cloud node. So should i use UFS than and is freeNAS still a good choice than?

2) There is a post noting that freeNAS should not be used on VPS, but it seems this is ment for ZFS/Raid users? So is it safe and recommend to use freeNAS inside a KVM VPS?

3) What are the minimum freeNAS memory requirements if u just want to use UFS, FTP, SSH, BtSync, WEBDAV and u are actually always limited by the "cloud" network speed aka VDSL ~100MBits. (Cloud VPS setup)

4) Will future freeNAS versions still fully support UFS, with all functions?

5) Is there a way to VPN into the freeNAS server so Windows/Mac clients can see/access the samba shares without third party clients?
NOTE: We use softEther under windows atm and it works great even on a none server version os, while it took just minutes to setup. I hope this can be done also under freeNAS, since there is a freeBSD version available?

6) Is there a VPN server web interface/plugin for freeNAS?

7) What advantages does freeNAS have over nas4free or openmediavault.
NOTE: So far i like the interface/plugin system better and it seems only freeNAS supports SMB3 via samba 4 atm?
But it was also noted that freeNAS needs lots more ram, which seems to assume ZFS useage.

8) Is freeNAS the best choice if u don't plan to use ZFS or u are better of with a other NAS distro?

9) Does the freeNAS/FreeBSD Jail linux emulation really work well? I found firebirdDB as port, but PlasticSCM needs to run from a .rpm/deb package, since there is no freeBSD version. I'm in for some pain or will i be surprised how well all works?

Thx
Andy

D

dlavigne

Some answers inline.

4) Will future freeNAS versions still fully support UFS, with all functions?

Probably not. As it is now, many of FreeNAS' compelling functions are not available for UFS.

6) Is there a VPN server web interface/plugin for freeNAS?

OpenVPN is in the base system, but must be configured from the CLI. Search the forums for Joe Paetzel's latest how-to.

9) Does the freeNAS/FreeBSD Jail linux emulation really work well? I found firebirdDB as port, but PlasticSCM needs to run from a .rpm/deb package, since there is no freeBSD version. I'm in for some pain or will i be surprised how well all works?

Nope, and it is limited to 32-bit applications. If PlasticSCM is a 64-bit app, it won't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.