Info about: mail notifications- Webgui setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

q_fleuren

Explorer
Good day everyone!

Since installing and trying out some features on my freshly build Nas I've come across features that im not quite sure how to change or make sure if they work.

For example the mail notifications setup.

As written in the Freenas documents I've setup the Root email for notifications.
While i do receive test emails i do not seem to receive anything else.
Like receiving an email if somebody entered the wrong password as described in the documents.
The documents nor guides continue explaining how one setups the notifications completely. its just the test email on root.

Further more i've browsed many guides for setup and configurations to see how one gives an adressname (instead of ip) to the webgui.
For example atm i would enter : 102.168.0.xxx for the webgui.
I would like to change the ip into a name of somekind. (seen some guides of people that have setup the webgui like this but they dont get into that >.<)

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
As written in the Freenas documents I've setup the Root email for notifications.
While i do receive test emails i do not seem to receive anything else.
Like receiving an email if somebody entered the wrong password as described in the documents.
The documents nor guides continue explaining how one setups the notifications completely. its just the test email on root.
You should be receiving these in email(s) with the subject "daily security run output".
Example:
ASC-FN01.[Redacted] login failures:
May 21 13:37:45 ASC-FN01 sshd[6243]: Failed password for root from 10.20.10.215 port 53797 ssh2
For example atm i would enter : 102.168.0.xxx for the webgui.
I would like to change the ip into a name of somekind. (seen some guides of people that have setup the webgui like this but they dont get into that >.<)
That is resolved by the Router, not FreeNAS. For example, one of my FreeNAS systems is named "ASC-FN01". I have a static IP assigned to it (via MAC Address Reservation) in my router. So when I want to get to it via the WebGUI, SSH (Putty) or even Network Shares, all I have to do is use the Host Name of "ASC-FNo1" since that is resolved at the Router level.

q_fleuren

Explorer
You should be receiving these in email(s) with the subject "daily security run output".
Example:

That is resolved by the Router, not FreeNAS. For example, one of my FreeNAS systems is named "ASC-FN01". I have a static IP assigned to it (via MAC Address Reservation) in my router. So when I want to get to it via the WebGUI, SSH (Putty) or even Network Shares, all I have to do is use the Host Name of "ASC-FNo1" since that is resolved at the Router level.

My router can only link Mac with IP adresses, not able to name the link :p i had hoped it was just a setting in freenas ;)

So far i have not received anything other than testing emails from freenas with its emailaccount, and yes ive checked le spamfolder ^^

Last edited:

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about

q_fleuren

Explorer
What Make/Model Router? Check to see if it has the ability to add DNS Entries or Name Resolution (it should).
Ubee EVW3200 I've checked the Isp manual delivered with the router but theres not much in there other than basic setup, static ip, ports ect
the only setting i could find about dns is for external use. I have such a nice ISP >.<

Last edited:

q_fleuren

Explorer
About the e-mailsetup.

I've ran Freenas for a couple of days and for what ever reason im not receiving anything?
Is there something else i need to setup like a cronjob or something?

The only thing that im receiving at this moment are the test e-mails after clicking the test email button in System> mail.

Mickey B

Dabbler
Hi q_fleuren :) Im brand new to freeNas, however i have been playing with it for 6 months so far without any success. I still have a box with hard drives in it and no secure back up as yet. Periodically i re-attempt it and i am currently focused on getting a result. My problem aligns with yours at the moment. I have followed Uncle festers guide to a 'T' and i am currently stuck on this. Its the anal retentive within me that wont move past it, because A) i like the idea and cant imagine failing at something so basic and B) i have already moved past it and failed also so im revisiting every step in minute detail.

This is the segment https://www.familybrown.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=fester:email of uncle festers works and so far it has been an absolute pleasure to follow. I can replicate your issue, which is to have a test email sent, and even recently have had a:
1. Daily run output
2. Weekly run output
3. Update available

-emails sent to me but i am specifically waiting for an alert email to "Alert" me that the HDD's are above "1" degree Celsius which is set to test the system and im not getting them!

I have to say that while i am frustrated with it, i will persist, but i am appealing to the community here also for assistance, because i have spent far too long on it.

q_fleuren

Explorer
Hi q_fleuren :) Im brand new to freeNas, however i have been playing with it for 6 months so far without any success. I still have a box with hard drives in it and no secure back up as yet. Periodically i re-attempt it and i am currently focused on getting a result. My problem aligns with yours at the moment. I have followed Uncle festers guide to a 'T' and i am currently stuck on this. Its the anal retentive within me that wont move past it, because A) i like the idea and cant imagine failing at something so basic and B) i have already moved past it and failed also so im revisiting every step in minute detail.

This is the segment https://www.familybrown.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=fester:email of uncle festers works and so far it has been an absolute pleasure to follow. I can replicate your issue, which is to have a test email sent, and even recently have had a:
1. Daily run output
2. Weekly run output
3. Update available

-emails sent to me but i am specifically waiting for an alert email to "Alert" me that the HDD's are above "1" degree Celsius which is set to test the system and im not getting them!

I have to say that while i am frustrated with it, i will persist, but i am appealing to the community here also for assistance, because i have spent far too long on it.

Hey mickey.

I've read over the guide from your embedded link multiple times and seen no steps that i haven't done already. yet there has been no kick from my nas other than the test e-mails.
I am extremely sad to see the community seems to think everything is explained in the documentation when clearly somethings are not or not good enough.

How can the freenas community really expand if this is the kind of help newcomers get?

Mickey B

Dabbler
Hey mickey.

I've read over the guide from your embedded link multiple times and seen no steps that i haven't done already. yet there has been no kick from my nas other than the test e-mails.
I am extremely sad to see the community seems to think everything is explained in the documentation when clearly somethings are not or not good enough.

How can the freenas community really expand if this is the kind of help newcomers get?

Its really tricky hey. I have also googled this step and found different walkthroughs and guides but they are about the same, and even some inconsistency between, but not enough to produce a successful outcome. For example:

Fester says to change the "from email" to your local email server (on NAS box) which is root@yourhostname.local, but i have seen other guides say that you make that your own personal email something@google.com etc. I have tried both and Fester seems more accurate in this because when i put my email instead of local server, the test emails come from myself, whereas, if i leave it as my local server email, then the email comes from yourhostname instead.

Another step i have tried which i found to be useful was to allow the log to appear on screen, which is also expandable. I have noticed that when i try to change the settings as per Fester, the log goes nuts with all sorts of errors etc, which leads me to believe that it isnt working correctly and i am omitting a crucial step. I should also mention that i do actually get the warnings in the log which alert me to the HDD temp being over 1 deg, but there isnt any email sent, nor is there any system alert on the green "alert" button on the GUI. Below is the log entry that shows the Warning being recorded.

Oct 16 14:36:18 freenas smartd[2569]: Device: /dev/ada3, Temperature 26 Celsius reached critical limit of 1 Celsius (Min/Max ??/26)

So i can confirm that i do:
1. Get test emails
2. Get some kind of daily and weekly run output email
3. Get system errors when parameters are artificially lowered to produce a result

But i cant get:
1. Emails of said errors

I don't want to skip this part, or forget about it because the NAS is a critical backup for me and i want to ensure its survival as best i can and this feature of freenas seems awesome. I just want it to WORK!

If anyone has some advice to share please help, i would be forever grateful

Mickey B

Dabbler
Hey with the new update 9.10.1 it has started working now as per Fester. Give it a try and let me know. Sometimes the emails take a few minutes to generate, but they have been coming through with the alerts. It must have been a bug in 9.10

YAY!

Status
Not open for further replies.