SCALE Joins Active Directory with wrong computer name TrueNAS-SCALE-22.02.4

inman.turbo

Contributor
For some reason after changing the hostname of scale ( In my case to "tnscale") Then joining AD Domain truenas still reports the computer name as TRUENAS. The same is so for mDNS ans WS-Discovery. Windows computers on the network see the nas always as TRUENAS, no matter what the hostname is set to. This could become very problematic when having more than one nas on the network. Is this a bug or am I missing something?

scale-issue-hostname.png

mmc.png

sharing-hostename.png

Last edited:

inman.turbo

Contributor
Ahh ... it's hidden under advanced settings. Leaving the domain then rejoining with correct netbios name solves this. Thank you!

inman.turbo

Contributor
Alternatively, editing the netbios name under services>smb also fixes this. I was expecting the hostname to update netbios name, and wasn't aware it could be configured independently. In the past I've only used NFS on freenas/truenas (for VM backing)

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
My domain name is longer than 15 characters (18) and ends by .lan , is there an option for me?
Your domain name shouldn't affect things. Internally winbindd uses the short-form of the AD domain name (which was automatically generated when you created your AD domain). This is different and relates to the hostname (which is not same as netbios workgroup).