SAN Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Adrian_

Dabbler
Hey guys...
I'm at that point in time where I have to figure out what my next step is...

NAS VS SAN
Does FreeNAS support FC natively ?
My home network is saturated as it is and I don't want to add more cabling as i already have nearly 2200' ( yes not a typo ) already run.
To spare you the boring details...

I want to separate the storage onto a separate network ( the FC SAN ) and this would also allow me to boot from SAN. Doing so would allow me to deploy servers faster and easier due to having identical configuration and would require one image that can be a Virtual Hard Disk image (vhd) and replicated for each server. Data and Application pools can also be shared and would make life a lot easier for one person :)

I will also be planing on using 2 of the 460c's as media servers ( Streaming HD Media for 4 to 6 devices each )

Alvin

Explorer
Yes. I'm using a FC SAN with FreeNAS. Check FreeBSD's hardware compatibility list. It might be needed to load the firmware for your FC card.
I need "ispfw_load" in the tunables.

_Adrian_

Dabbler
I was looking at DataCore's SANsymphony... not a cheap solution for a home environment that's for sure !!

I want to be able to pool all my storage keep latency as low as possible between my server and SAN.

Also... Is load balancing available over multiple FC links ??
I know sometimes this is a firmware feature... but sometimes it get integrated into the software.

Status
Not open for further replies.