Clarity on fibre channel support

Status
Not open for further replies.

GlobalMind

Cadet
Ok, so I need to set up a FC lab here at the house with the aim of creating some basic zoning training for a few folks. I'll probably pick up a Brocade 300 switch (I'd get an IBM branded SAN24b except for the dang prices for what is the same hardware as a BC300) since that's what we run into the most in the field.

I figure, with all this talk of "native fibre channel" support in FN, it's worth reading through what has been posted so far, found one good walk through of the setup, seems at least here it's mostly iSCSI over fiber as opposed to what I would call "native" FC, all the stuff we do on the enterprise side.

Looking at the feature requests it seems to be complete but perhaps not rolled into the 9.3 code stream - or maybe it's in the dailies but not yet "released"? I would guess whenever 10 comes out this would simply be apart of that.

It seems from a config perspective, a lot of the work is being done command line as there's no real GUI for this in FN only perhaps in TN. This wouldn't surprise me and it mimics what is generally the case in every OSS SAN/NAS package. Actually for several there is simply no FC available in the community editions, which I suppose makes sense as they have to make money somehow and do so by licensing the "enterprise" features like true FC.

LUN mapping also seems to not be possible in the way we'd typically think about that, although admittedly I have not yet tried it, so I can't say how flexible it really is.

The clarity I am looking for is to confirm this is all essentially true. My need to support FC here is for several lab projects, with my FN running on one box (SuperMicro 4U 24 bay chassis) connected to a FC switch, then also serving up to a pair of x3650s as VM hosts. I'd likely also want to use my IBM POWER7 machine via VIOS if I can get it to work.

I have been looking at a few DS3524s or similar "real" SAN storage too, pricing is still a tick prohibitive, especially considering the gear I have already, but that's a known entity to me and I know it will work across everything I have via FC.

Thanks.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I believe that there isn't any FC support in TrueNAS either. Until some customers start waving money at iX for it, it isn't likely to be officially supported.

Mlovelace

Guru
iSCSI over fiber as opposed to what I would call "native" FC, all the stuff we do on the enterprise side.

"enterprise" features like true FC
iSCSI over a fiber connection has nothing to do with fiber channel they are two totally separate networking protocols.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
There is FC support in latest updates of TrueNAS with UI and everything.

Wow. That's way cool, and since I assume you had a hand in that, let me also say great job since it has been an ongoing issue for years here in the forums.

Any chance it'll be showing up in FreeNAS?

mav@

iXsystems
iXsystems
FC support is not planned on FreeNAS. No more then follows from having the same FreeBSD code base. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.