samba + idmap_rid

Status
Not open for further replies.

BloodyIron

Contributor
I've been trying to see if FreeNAS will work for my business. One thing that I have enjoyed is how well it handles my samba needs so far. I do have one concern though. According to SAMBA documentation IDMAP_RID does not work with trusted domains, yet my FreeNAS environment seems to work with trusted domains set to yes. Can a developer comment as to whether this is advisable? Also, why IDMAP_RID was used in favor of IDMAP_HASH?

I have had good success so far with IDMAP_RID but it seems IDMAP_HASH might be the better method to generate users.

Also, it's a bit frustrating that I can't set the UID/GID range before the users/groups are populated, which can complicate things if my environment uses a range different from what FreeNAS uses.

BloodyIron

Contributor
Anyone?

paleoN

Wizard
It's only been slightly more than 24 hours.

Also, it's a bit frustrating that I can't set the UID/GID range before the users/groups are populated, which can complicate things if my environment uses a range different from what FreeNAS uses.
I can't speak to the IDMAP_HASH part, but you can hack the /conf/base/etc/pw.conf & /etc/pw.conf files beforehand. Keep in mind the jail also has /etc/pw.conf with another range you would want to account for.

J

James

What link indicated that trusted domains do not work? They do work with idmap_rid. As for using idmap_rid over idmap_hash, idmap_rid relies on windows sid's for unique uid's and gid's, whereas idmap_hash does not. Idmap_rid is the better choice, but it relies on windows to do the dirty work. As for offering a range configuration option, that is on the to do list and will come in time.

BloodyIron

Contributor
http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/idmapper.html#id2606596

My understanding is that IDMAP_RID uses only the last few characters of the SID (7 characters maybe?) but IDMAP_HASH uses the whole SID string for unique generation and does have support for trusted domains. Also IDMAP_RID can only deal with one domain, but IDMAP_HASH can deal with multiple domains at once : http://www.novell.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=7007006

What link indicated that trusted domains do not work? They do work with idmap_rid. As for using idmap_rid over idmap_hash, idmap_rid relies on windows sid's for unique uid's and gid's, whereas idmap_hash does not. Idmap_rid is the better choice, but it relies on windows to do the dirty work. As for offering a range configuration option, that is on the to do list and will come in time.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, I'll take a look at those.

I can't speak to the IDMAP_HASH part, but you can hack the /conf/base/etc/pw.conf & /etc/pw.conf files beforehand. Keep in mind the jail also has /etc/pw.conf with another range you would want to account for.

BloodyIron

Contributor
Oh for this technique, do I need to edit/define these files before I connect it to the domain? I tried to manually write a samba.conf/nsswitch.conf/krb5.conf before, but each reboot would wipe out my settings. How can I be sure it won't do that to pw.conf?

I also don't know anything about jails in FreeNAS, can you elaborate on that please? Or just stick my nose in a document page, I'm fine with that too.

paleoN

Wizard
I tried to manually write a samba.conf/nsswitch.conf/krb5.conf before, but each reboot would wipe out my settings. How can I be sure it won't do that to pw.conf?
:confused: Of course it will. That's why I referenced both files. Further more, reboot.

I also don't know anything about jails in FreeNAS, can you elaborate on that please? Or just stick my nose in a document page, I'm fine with that too.
8.10 Plugins. As I believe the documentation doesn't reference it and I happen to know the jail range:
Code:
minuid 40000
maxuid 49999
mingid 40000
maxgid 49999

BloodyIron

Contributor
What do you mean further more, reboot? I have rebooted this system a few times now (I'm testing other things), what are you getting at? Thanks again for the heads up on this btw.

:confused: Of course it will. That's why I referenced both files. Further more, reboot.

8.10 Plugins. As I believe the documentation doesn't reference it and I happen to know the jail range:
Code:
minuid 40000
maxuid 49999
mingid 40000
maxgid 49999

BloodyIron

Contributor
Okay so I'm a little confused here:

a) the ranges in /conf/base/etc/pw.conf don't really translate to anything in /usr/local/etc/smb.conf so far as I can tell.

b) idmap config DOMAIN: range is what I'm looking to set, it's currently 20000-20000000 but I want to know how to change this before hand without it being reset by a reboot

c) the idmap uid and gid don't seem to equally translate to the idmap config DOMAIN: range, for example:

Code:
    idmap uid = 10000-19999
    idmap gid = 10000-19999

Thoughts?

Code:
minuid 40000
maxuid 49999
mingid 40000
maxgid 49999

paleoN

Wizard
Okay so I'm a little confused here:
Perhaps, you can mention what you intend to change it to? Then I might not be as confused as well and offer a better answer.

a) the ranges in /conf/base/etc/pw.conf don't really translate to anything in /usr/local/etc/smb.conf so far as I can tell.
They are specifically non-overlapping. I was assuming, wrongly, you wanted part of this range. The file /usr/local/etc/smb.conf is generated each time the service is started.

b) idmap config DOMAIN: range is what I'm looking to set, it's currently 20000-20000000 but I want to know how to change this before hand without it being reset by a reboot
I thought it avoided the jail range. I guess I'm remembering that wrong. It might be better if the jail range was moved much lower or higher and not in the middle.

You need to hack /conf/base/etc/rc.d/ix-samba & /etc/rc.d/ix-samba around line #317 and change the range.

BloodyIron

Contributor
I think the ix-samba part is what I'm looking for, thanks. I'll have to see if it gets the results I want.

Now a thought occurs, wont an update undo this change?

Perhaps, you can mention what you intend to change it to? Then I might not be as confused as well and offer a better answer.

They are specifically non-overlapping. I was assuming, wrongly, you wanted part of this range. The file /usr/local/etc/smb.conf is generated each time the service is started.

I thought it avoided the jail range. I guess I'm remembering that wrong. It might be better if the jail range was moved much lower or higher and not in the middle.

You need to hack /conf/base/etc/rc.d/ix-samba & /etc/rc.d/ix-samba around line #317 and change the range.

paleoN

Wizard

suben

Cadet
Multiple shareing problem using different user

Hi

I am unable access multiple share in same time using different different user name and password. Please help me this

Also help me how to open new Issue treat

Status
Not open for further replies.