FreeNAS as Domain Controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kga

Cadet
Hello,
I have been trying to find some information on this subject, but without success so far.

Has anybody tried this? Configuring Samba on the FreeNAS as Domain Controller? Is it possible at all? Is it advisable?

Why do I want to do this? Well, I'm running FreeNAS at home and would like to have SSO accross the couple of windows PCs running in this environment without having to set up a dedicated box for managing the accounts.

Thanks for your advice and best regards,
kga

mrubenb

Cadet
@UPDATE: It turns out that FreeNAS 8.3 has this capability already. I mistakenly didn't research in this forum enough before posting this. I'll continue looking and will post my findings. :cool:

@KGA - Although this message was a while ago, I wonder if you were able to do anything with it. I am planning to do this myself, and I haven't found anything that suggests otherwise.

The Unix/Linux utility mostly used for Domain Controller services is Samba. This is the same application used for SMB/CIFC shares (AKA Windows Shares). Since FreeNas already has Samba installed, I see this feasible. Nevertheless, there may be some package rebuilding and some command line action before it gets to work.

The same goes for the web access to it, only network shares access is available in the web, so some php hacking may be required - if you want the domain controller to be accessible via the web page.

In any case, I plan to do this as well. Though I will add NIS support (or something alike) for SSO in the FreeBSD and Linux Machines in my network.

It'll take me a little while, but I'll keep you posted.

mrubenb

Cadet
I did. It turns out that you can add your own configuration in the auxiliary parameters for both global and share configurations. You can add your regular settings there. You do have to setup password synchronization so the samba passwords synchronize with BSD passwords. Maybe I create a small tutorial with this and post it on this thread.

wug2600

Cadet
I did. It turns out that you can add your own configuration in the auxiliary parameters for both global and share configurations. You can add your regular settings there. You do have to setup password synchronization so the samba passwords synchronize with BSD passwords. Maybe I create a small tutorial with this and post it on this thread.

That would be wonderful! I look forward to seeing it

mbassan

Cadet

Hem ..... :D news about tutorial ?

Status
Not open for further replies.