Rsync Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamjs83

Dabbler
I am trying unsuccessfully to use Rsync to copy my data to an Ubuntu server for backup purposes.

My first attempt was to Rsync the entire volume. After several days 5 of my 7 datasets appeared on the remote server. Of the remaining two one of them didn't copy at all and the other there was an empty directory created with the name of the dataset with the only file insife .

I then tried creating seven individual Rsync tasks for the seven datasets. The five which copied correctly the first time copied correctly again and the two that didn't had the exact same results, one doesn't appear at all and the other one just created an empty directory with the dataset name.

I have no idea how to begin troubleshooting this issue and was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

Fore reference all 7 of the datasets are using windows permissions and the owner user is an active directory user and the owner group is wheel.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Hardware, filesystem layout, rsync command, error messages.

Have you tried just rsync the failed datasets?

adamjs83

Dabbler
Hardware:
Freenas 9.3 | Supermicro MBD-X10SL7-F-O | Intel Xeon E3-1231V3 | 32 GB Crucial DDR3 ECC | Intel I350-T4 4 Port Gigiabit Lan | 4x 250GB Crucial MX100 SSD Raidz1 | 6x WL 6TB 5700RPM Raidz2 |
2x 16GB Sandisk Cruzer Fit Mirrored | Antec EA-380D 380W PSU | Fractal Design Node 804

Filesystem Layout:
7 Datasets on 6 Drive Raidz2

Rsync Command:
I am using the rsync task in the GUI with the SSH option.

Error Messages:
Where would I look for the meaningful error messages on this?

Have you tried just rsync the failed datasets?:
Yes I have tried the failed datasets as part of a single rsync task of the entire volume as well as individually. Same results in both cases.

Last edited:

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Hardware:
Build FreeNAS-9.2.1.9-RELEASE-x64 || Platform Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1230 V3 @ 3.3GHz
Memory Crucial 1600Mhz 16301MB ECC CT2KIT102472BD160B || Chassis Fractal Design Node 304
Disk WD-Red - 6x3TB || Motherboard ASRock E3C226D2I || UPS CP1000CPFLCD

Filesystem Layout:
7 Datasets on 6 Drive Raidz2

Rsync Command:
I am using the rsync task in the GUI with the SSH option.

Error Messages:
Where would I look for the meaningful error messages on this?

Have you tried just rsync the failed datasets?:
Yes I have tried the failed datasets as part of a single rsync task of the entire volume as well as individually. Same results in both cases.
Did you just copy my signature?

Can you trying using rsync via the cli? Logs can be seen in /var/log/messages or in the footer of the gui if you have turned that on.

adamjs83

Dabbler
Did you just copy my signature?

Yes, I grabbed yours instead of mine, moving to fast.

Logs can be seen in /var/log/messages or in the footer of the gui if you have turned that on.

I am just getting thousands of the below message in my log

Code:
Jan 29 12:27:34 sto01 smbd[68296]:   STATUS=daemon 'smbd' finished starting up and ready to serve connectionsgss_accept_sec_context failed with [ Miscellaneous failure (see text): Failed to find cifs/sto01@REDACTED.REDACTED.US(kvno 37) in keytab MEMORY:cifs_srv_keytab (arcfour-hmac-md5)]

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about

adamjs83

Dabbler
I have rebooted the Ubuntu server and FreeNAS several times. I will try rebooting all of my windows and other devices with are accessing the FreeNAS over cifs to try to alleviate that message.

adamjs83

Dabbler
Code:
[root@sto01] /mnt/DATA-VOLUME# rsync -avzhe ssh --progress adamjs83@10.10.10.41:/mnt/freenasrsync/backup/AIRV-SET /mnt/DATA-VOLUME/AIRV-SET/
adamjs83@10.10.10.41's password:
receiving incremental file list
AIRV-SET/
rsync: mkstemp "/mnt/DATA-VOLUME/AIRV-SET/AIRV-SET/.windows.eMhEbm" failed: Operation not permitted (1)
              0 100%    0.00kB/s    0:00:00 (xfr#1, to-chk=0/2)

sent 47 bytes  received 123 bytes  48.57 bytes/sec
total size is 0  speedup is 0.00
rsync error: some files/attrs were not transferred (see previous errors) (code 23) at main.c(1638) [generator=3.1.1]
[root@sto01] /mnt/DATA-VOLUME#

Attempt to run the failed data set in the CLI

But I think that this may be due to an issue with SSH keys. For some reason the CLI is asking for a password while the GUI rsync task has keys working.

Last edited:

adamjs83

Dabbler
Ok update I am able to get Rsync to work manually at the command line using rsync module to my Synology.

The ultimate goal is to get the backup on the Synology however I had been using the Ubuntu server as a middle man because I hadn't been able to rsync directly from Freenas to the Synology in the GUI.

Code:
rsync -a --timeout=600 /mnt/DATA-VOLUME/ root@10.10.10.32::NetBackup/sto01

The issue I am encountering is that the Synology is asking for a password after entering the above command which is why I suspect it wasn't working with the GUI. Is anyone aware of a way to do this in the GUI either with an RSYNC task or CRONJOB that can provide the password to the synolgoy?

Sorry if these are basic questions but I am totally new to rsync.

Status
Not open for further replies.