rsync issues to SMB dataset

bub4

Cadet
Dear All,

I am new to Linux, zfs and FreeNAS. I have to replace an old Thecus NAS after 7 years.
With the help of a colleague, the setup of the machine worked very good. I am impressed of the look and feel of FreeNAS so far.

First settings are done and I am good to go in terms of migrating data. rsync job is running currently.
And this is very my trouble begun!

Unfortunately the old Thecus machine has some strange behaviour in terms of rsync and scp (both doesn’t work).

So I fired the rsync command from the FreeNAS which works kind of good.

Issue#1

While rsyncing the data to a SMB Dataset,

1) I receive tons of „operation not permitted messages.

2) only directories are synced the actual data not (.jpg .mp3…)

So I added Generic Datasets to rsync the data onto.

This works properly.

Issue#2

I need to bring the data from the Generic Dataset to the SMB Dataset.

When I use the „mv“ command I receive chmod „operation not permitted“ errors.

It seems however, that the the data is copied (not moved) to the target folder successfully.

When I use the „cp“ command, the data is copied without any issues and error messages.

Questions:

1) Do you see issues by bringing the data first to a generic dataset to copy it afterwards to a SMB dataset via shell?

2) Do you see issues by cp-ing the data instead of mv-ing? It seems that mv wants to move permissions , while cp doesn’t.

-> the permissions of the Thecus aren’t important anymore as the FreeNAS will set own permissions to the data, right?

Thank you for your advice and for enlightening me!

bub4

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
You can set ACLs on FreeNAS SMB dataset how you want them, and then specify in your rsync command to not synchronize permissions. The files copied over will inherit the ACL that you set in the FreeNAS UI.

bub4

Cadet
Thank you @anodos

My command looks like that:

rsync -avr --port=2220 --progress root@ipThecus:/pathtosource/ /mnt/FreeNASpool/SMBdstasetTarget

Can you let me know how the command should look like to exclude perms?

thanks