RSYNC doesn't allow me to delete files

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonny81

Contributor
Hoping someone can help me figure out what I did wrong in my Rsync configuration.

1. Rsync is being run as root user and successfully backups up my files every 15mins
2. Recursive is ticked
3. Times is ticked
4. Compress is ticked
5. Preserve permissions is NOT ticked

Basically I can't delete a folder from a CIFS share I created on my Rsync machine. I can read and open files from this share fine, but can't delete or write to the share.

This share has a custom created user and group as its owner with read write and execute permissions granted.

Machine 1 is the push machine, Machine 2 (Rsync machine) is the pull machine.

I'm figuring I'll probably be better off deleting the ZFS pool on the Rsync machine and starting over with you guys' input on what I should put in for Rsync permissions. My fear is that it will mirror that delete over to my other Freenas machine (Machine 1, even though its configured as push).

If there is a way to merely change the permissions of the Rsync without having to start from scratch, that would be even better.

Thoughts?

sonny81

Contributor
UPDATE

Reformatted Rsync pull machine and preserved permissions. I can now delete files from the share I created of my Rsync.

Only odd thing that's happening now is 'm getting a bunch of folders from one of my zpools, and of course a master folder of that folder with the same folders inside of it.

I set up two Rsync Tasks, called Drobo, the other DATA. All of the folders from the Drobo share appear in the share I created on the Rsync machine. However there is also a folder called Drobo that has those exact same folders inside (both versions have the files inside too). This is not the case with the DATA share. There's simply a DATA folder in the Rsync machine's share and no dups.

Any reason why this would be happening?

sonny81

Contributor
Think I"m understanding why this is happening but not sure how to fix it properly.

Just a quick refresh; there are two local FreeNAS systems, Machine 1 (push, has original files to be backed up), Machine 2 (Rsync, pull, backup NAS).

1. Under RSYNC Modules I created for Machine 1 it made me select a directory (not the mnt folder). So I went with the "DROBO" folder.

2. I created two RSYNC tasks to be sent over the Machine 2 (which is already configured for RSYNC): "DATA" (task for backing up my zpool called Data), and "DROBO" (task for backing up my zpool called Drobo)

3. RSYNC works flawlessly, but I now have all the folders with "DROBO" listed in Machine 2's CIFS share I created, PLUS there's two parent folders, DATA and DROBO.

4. None of the folders in DATA are outside of the DATA parent folder of Machine 2's CIFS share (no duplicate folders)

5. The parent folder on Machine 2's CIFS share "DROBO" has all the folders in it the zpool from Machine 1 has (very nice), but these folders are also listed outside of the "DROBO" parent folder in Machine 2's CIFS share (doubling the amount of space used)

Is what I need to do merely disabling the "DROBO" RSYNC task and leaving the DATA RYSNC task as it is? (Assuming the reason for the duplication really is because I set the DROBO zpool as my directory of my RSYNC Module on Machine 1)

Hope that made sense!! Thanks!!

sonny81

Contributor
Can anyone help with this?

Status
Not open for further replies.