rsync copies folders but not files

zeca

Dabbler
I've been trying to sync a Windows share on FreeNAS with a QNAP box.
Followed this guide:
https://www.geeklingo.net/setting-rsync-freenas-qnap/

created two users with equal username+password on both sides to make things simpler.
Enabled RSync on both sides, set the FreeNAS rsync task to push, did not check "Preserve permissions", "Archive" or "Preserve extended attributes", since these seem to be incompatible with Windows datasets - as explained here
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...rmissions-support-for-windows-datasets.43973/
extra options:
--password-file=/usr/local/etc/rsync.psw --log-file=/usr/local/etc/logfile.log
and created the password file as instructed here
https://www.bsdsrv.se/rsync/

When the rsync job runs, the end result is always the same: it creates folders on the QNAP, but no files.
I've tried to play with all possible settings, tried to run it as a normal user, as root, set password file permissions to chmod 440, chmod 600. Nothing changes it.

Does anyone have any idea of what's wrong?

Alternatively, is there a better alternative to keep 4TB of data synced between a FreeNAS (Windows share) and QNAP boxes (one direction FreeNAS->QNAP)? A plugin?

D

dlavigne

Were you able to figure this out? If not, which version of FreeNAS? Any failure messages in /var/log/messages ?

zeca

Dabbler
Problem solved.
It was a combination of 3 things:

Initially the rsync job was run by a user with full read/write rights to the target QNAP share. But that user wasn't in the administrators group, so it failed to create files. This was solved by making that user an administrator.

Then the Rsync job would run, and I could see ~temp folders and files being created on the QNAP, but after finishing each tmp file transfer, that file would disappear. It was actually being temporarily stored in a ~tmp folder at the same location. But initially I was accessing the QNAP share with a non-admin account, so I couldn't see these ~tmp folders and assumed nothing was being created.

As the rsync job was very large (about 4TB), it took some 30 hours to complete, so I had to wait for it to finish to see the actual non-temp files.
All temp files were given their final name only at the very end of the rsync job.

I now realize this could have been avoided by using --inplace.

zeca

Dabbler
Should "Preserve permissions", "Archive" and "Preserve extended attributes" still be left unchecked in Windows datasets?

Khuzaima

Dabbler
Problem solved.
It was a combination of 3 things:

Initially the rsync job was run by a user with full read/write rights to the target QNAP share. But that user wasn't in the administrators group, so it failed to create files. This was solved by making that user an administrator.

Then the Rsync job would run, and I could see ~temp folders and files being created on the QNAP, but after finishing each tmp file transfer, that file would disappear. It was actually being temporarily stored in a ~tmp folder at the same location. But initially I was accessing the QNAP share with a non-admin account, so I couldn't see these ~tmp folders and assumed nothing was being created.

As the rsync job was very large (about 4TB), it took some 30 hours to complete, so I had to wait for it to finish to see the actual non-temp files.
All temp files were given their final name only at the very end of the rsync job.

I now realize this could have been avoided by using --inplace.

Hi,
I am using root user to rsync source to destination. But still it is not copying any files. Only blank folders are created.