Retrieving data from a ZFS in FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitchybee

Cadet
Hey guys,

I've got a slight issue and I think i've got a solution but not too sure if it would work so I figured I would come here to get some expert advice. So I took a hard drive out of my FreeNAS (build 9.10-stable) and deleted the volume (with the data still on it) but then I realized that I needed a file from it but in order to import the volume I need to format the volume which would delete all of my data. I've done abit of reading and have seen that there is no way to add a disk without formatting it so i'm thinking of finding a OS that has the same file system as FreeNAS (Unix like OS) and trying to add the disk and hoping that it will still show all of my data. What do you guys think? Is it possible or is my data gone?

rs225

Guru
It sounds like you deleted the partition or the whole partition table on another computer. If you did nothing else, then it should be possible to reconstruct a partition table that matches the original, and then import the volume. (ZFS pool?)

mitchybee

Cadet
Hey thanks for the reply. Is there a tutorial on how to do that? I don't want to touch anything else just in case I screw up something else

Status
Not open for further replies.