SOLVED Restarting daemons from CLI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oko

Contributor
I would like to push rrd data collected by collectd utility to a remove collectd server. I see
/usr/local/etc/collectd.conf file and network plugin is already loaded. I am tempted to add remote server info and restart the daemon from CLI. Will that mess up work of "Reporting" tab from FreeNAS GUI which is just a front end for collectd?

Oko

Contributor
I got the courage and edited /usr/local/etc/collectd.conf by adding the details of the remote server (as network plugin was already loaded). I restarted collectd from the shell which had no ill effect on the system GUI. However I have not noticed collectd data appearing in the server tab on the Observium. After I get some rest I will try to tcpdump the traffic. In any case it seems very reasonable to have a tab for collectd server of proxy and being able to restart the daemon from the GUI. I also enabled remote loggin in /etc/syslog.conf and restarted the daemon. I so not effect but FreeNAS syslog daemon is configured not to be too verbose. The same story as above. It would be fairly easy to add GUI for remote loggin server entry and ability to restart daemon from GUI.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
You want to see something funny?

Reboot your server.

Your changes will be gone.

Oko

Contributor
You want to see something funny?

Reboot your server.

Your changes will be gone.
Of course :) It is an embedded system. But the hope is that server will have a very long uptime much longer than this
Code:
[root@gaia] /usr/local/etc# uptime
9:10PM  up 120 days,  9:29, 1 user, load averages: 0.00, 0.03, 0.00

If a system in my lab can't stay up at least 1.5-2 years it will be promptly decommissioned.

I am actually happy to report that syslogd has no problem reporting to remote loggin server. The log files are happily displayed in Observium. However I am still having troubles understanding why that is not the case with collectd. I sure checked and network plugin is there. However it doesn't report to collectd server.

And I am going to answer my original question. Restarting at least some daemons like syslogd and collectd form CLI is safe.

Oko

Contributor
Please refer to Feature #6437,#6438 at bugs.freenas.org

Status
Not open for further replies.