Problems migrating Plex library from Synology to FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJMorf

Explorer
Hi all.

I've got a newly built FreeNAS system (details in my sig) onto which I'm trying to migrate my existing Plex library, currently held on a Synology DS216j. I'm having problems getting the new Plex server to run after I overwrite its settings with the old data. I've got a question on the Plex forums which hasn't received any love yet, and I haven't been able to find anything on this forum that seems similar enough to my situation so I thought I'd ask.

Synology NAS is running Plex 1.13.5.5291.

First attempt: installed PMS from the plugins list, verified that it was working (accessed the web page successfully), then followed the instructions for locating the data directory and moving an installation. I'd shut down the server on FreeNAS before trying to copy the data, of course. Unfortunately, after copying the data, I couldn't restart the server from the plugins page, even after restarting the server.

I thought that this might be due to a version mismatch between that on the Synology and that in FreeNAS (1.12.2.4929) but I couldn't find a way to update the FreeNAS version (and based on what I've since read, I don't think it's possible to update a plugin until the team responsible release a new version).

Second attempt: manually created a jail, updated the pkgng database using "pkg update -f" and installed Plex using the CLI command "pkg install plexmediaserver" - version 1.13.4.4271 at the time of writing. I confirmed that the web page was again available, then stopped the service and copied the data into "/usr/local/plexdata/Plex Media Server", overwriting the existing files if any. When I tried to restart the server via CLI, it failed with a message "WARNING: failed to start plexmediaserver".

I don't think that this is a permissions issue with regard to the data files I've copied across, because I've edited the permissions on the Plex data set to allow all of owner/group/guest full access, applied after copying the data and recursively.

Has anyone been able to successfully migrate from Synology to FreeNAS? Have I been doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Because you're moving platforms (linux to unix), I understand that it's potentially not going to work.

The differences between the linux and unix versions may not be as significant as between Windows or Mac and unix, but unless you have a bunch of time to throw at working on each setting until you get it to work, you're probably better off just rebuilding your library.

Alternatively, you will probably have a better experience using docker on FreeNAS to run plex (although you will hit the storage access issue there and need to effectively connect to it from the docker instance as if you're on another box, using SMB or NFS), since this will be linux and most probably your copied config would just work straight up.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Alternatively, you will probably have a better experience using docker on FreeNAS to run plex
You will likely find a lot of users on this forum that would disagree with that statement, myself included.

sretalla