How to: Transmission-Remote - CLI/SSH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yatti420

Wizard
How To Use Transmission Remote

Hello,

In case anybody wanted to manage a second transmission installation remotely (2 freenas boxes for example) you can use transmission-remote included with the Transmission pbi's to access the remote installation.. It's easy to do via ssh..

Access the remote installation's transmission jail (jexec # /bin/csh) and run the folowing "transmission-remote" for an overview of commands..

If you have a transmission password you will be required to authenticate (all lower letter) in order to successfully send commands..

"transmission-remote -n user:secretpassword -si" will list session info as shown below..

Code:
VERSION
  Daemon version: 2.77 (14031)
  RPC version: 14
  RPC minimum version: 1

CONFIG
  Configuration directory: /usr/pbi/transmission-i386/etc/transmission/home
  Download directory: /tmp
  Download directory free space: 150.6 GB
  Listenport: 51444
  Portforwarding enabled: Yes
  uTP enabled: Yes
  Distributed hash table enabled: Yes
  Local peer discovery enabled: No
  Peer exchange allowed: Yes
  Encryption: required
  Maximum memory cache size: 4.00 MiB

LIMITS
  Peer limit: 300
  Default seed ratio limit: 0.01
  Upload speed limit: 50 kB/s (Enabled limit: 60 kB/s; Enabled turtle limit: 50 kB/s)
  Download speed limit: 750 kB/s (Disabled limit: 100 kB/s; Enabled turtle limit: 750 kB/s)

MISC
  Autostart added torrents: Yes
  Delete automatically added torrents: No

"transmission-remote -n user:secretpassword-l" will authenticate and list all torrents (with IDs) loaded into the remote transmission daemon..

If you have 3 torrents loaded and wish to remove them all from the list you would run "transmission-remote -n user:secretpassword -t 1-3 -r" (This doesn't remove data - equivalent to "remove from list" in GUI)

"transmission-daemon" will allow you to set daemon settings if applicable..

See ya
Yatti420

Yatti420

Wizard
For the local server I usually use "Torrent Status V1.11" for firefox and the equivalent transmission add-on for chrome.. They will automatically load magnet links and torrent files to your local FreeNAS box automatically.. So no need for 3-4 step processes.. Enjoy..

SeaFox

Explorer
For the local server I usually use "Torrent Status V1.11" for firefox and the equivalent transmission add-on for chrome.. They will automatically load magnet links and torrent files to your local FreeNAS box automatically.. So no need for 3-4 step processes.. Enjoy..

Have you considered you don't have to list a local IP address in Torrent Status's setup? It will take any Internet address. So if you set up a dynamic DNS service on your FreeNAS all you would need to do is forward the web interface port on your router to the jail Transmission is running on. That way if you're on say a laptop you can auto-load torrents to your FreeNAS box at home (and do all the usual managing and monitoring Torrent Status can do) from where ever you are.

I actually use Add to Transmission on my laptop as it's pretty slow and Torrent Status requires more system resources (and the bandwidth) to do its monitoring, whereas AtoT only interfaces with the NAS when sending a torrent to it.

Yatti420

Wizard
I tend not to have FreeNAS GUI etc on the web.. If I want to drop torrent files to a remote nas box I typically use sftp - I run Ubuntu on my desktop.. Windows 7 on my netbook..

Locally all I do is click whatever I want.. It loads to my NAS transmission client.. If the add-on you use does the same I will look at it.. Drag and drop for me for remote torrent pretty much unless I've stockpiled torrent files for later consumption (we don't get alot of bandwidth here)..

Status
Not open for further replies.