Resilio causing EXCESSIVE overhead!

Status
Not open for further replies.

diedrichg

Wizard
So I upgraded to the Resilio plugin from the BTSync plugin. I've had it running for a few weeks and I noticed last week that something was causing excessive load on my machine. I'm running a Intel G3420. My CPU usually idles at 1-7%. It's hitting a consistent 40%! Just see the graph below. In the graph you see me stopping the plugin. I let it sit for a few hours and then turned Resilio back on. You then see the excessive load return. WTF?! Does anybody know what could be going on? There are no clients accessing Resilio, it's just idling. Is anybody else seeing this?

Edit: I ran Transmission (also a plugin) and I'm not seeing the overhead.

To add: I had installed Resilio from plugin and then copied my BTSync configuration to the Resilio plugin.

FreeNAS-9.10.2 (a476f16)
Resilio 2.4.2 : resilio-2.4.2-amd64

gKGUABn.png

Last edited:

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
This is a closed source application and there's not anything I (the plugin maintainer) can do to effect how the program performs since all we are given are pre-built binaries.
I suggest you ask for guidance on the resilio forum.

diedrichg

Wizard
This is a closed source application and there's not anything I (the plugin maintainer) can do to effect how the program performs since all we are given are pre-built binaries.
I suggest you ask for guidance on the resilio forum.
Oh, I know you have no control of the application - I am mostly curious if anyone else has experienced this. If they have not; then was it because they did not copy over their config from BTSync. If they have experienced this; did they also copy over their config as I did. Or worse, is my installation somehow compromised with some sort of malware or is it a zombie.

I will definitely follow up with the Resilio people, thanks.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Switch to syncthing... I've been saying this for a couple of years now.

diedrichg

Wizard
Switch to syncthing... I've been saying this for a couple of years now.
I've wanted to switch to Syncthing since they were introduced but they don't have one-way backup so that I can sync my phone photos. Unless I don't understand how to use it properly, if I delete the photos on my phone, wouldn't Syncthing just send them right back?

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I've wanted to switch to Syncthing since they were introduced but they don't have one-way backup so that I can sync my phone photos. Unless I don't understand how to use it properly, if I delete the photos on my phone, wouldn't Syncthing just send them right back?
I don't know if there is a way to do that. I don't use syncthing on my phone. I prefer a full backup using foldersync pro. For my photos, they back up to my Google drive, Dropbox, and when I get around to setting my own/next cloud back up, they will sync there too.

I don't ever delete photos from my phone...I've had a hard time filling 64gb. Lol.

diedrichg

Wizard
I (the plugin maintainer)
Hi, Joshua. I contacted Resilio and created a case for the excessive load. They requested a log dump so I sent them that. They also requested we (you) bump the Resilio plugin to 2.4.4, please. Thanks for all your time and effort on maintaining the plugins!

diedrichg

Wizard
For anyone even remotely curious. Here is the reply from Resilio. My situation is resolved and I have documented that below this quote:
Hello Diedrich

Thanks for the logs. We have analyzed them and found error message - "Failed to write attributes for file" which means that your user doesn't have permission for changing files' attributes. I recommend you to have a look on the following forum thread for more info:
https://forum.resilio.com/topic/42604-solved-sync-high-cpu-large-logs-constant-indexing/
It turns out that *somehow* my Resilio jail linked pool storage had a few folders that were no longer owned by btsync:btsync. e.g.
Code:
770 diedrich:family /mnt/dvgmar/BTSync/diedrich/camera
instead of
770 btsync:btsync /mnt/dvgmar/BTSync/diedrich/camera

I simply went into /mnt/dvgmar/BTSync and did:
Code:
cd /mnt/dvgmar/BTSync
chown -R btsync:btsync *

All is well now. My processor is now happily idling back at 1.3%.

Status
Not open for further replies.