Reset to defaults in the setup menu does what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

THE_KINGDOM

Explorer
Reset to defaults in the setup menu does what? I thought this would just reset my network settings etc.. it's seem everything is reset?

THE_KINGDOM

Explorer
well it seems I lost everything? All plugins, jails, etc.. even my volume.. can the volume be restored? guess not..

This happened because I was no longer able to access the web interface.. which I'm guessing what because I changed the DNS/Name Servers? I figured the reset to factory default was just for the settings and network settings etc..

THE_KINGDOM

Explorer
Well now that I've screwed this whole thing up. I'm having to start from scratch again.

How do I set the network interface to a default network IP?

mjws00

Guru
It just resets the config db it doesn't wipe the pool. You should be able to auto import your pool. Jails may be fubarred as there could be missing components in the db. But the files from them will be there. They also might work. Never tested it.

It will grab DHCP by default. Or you can set a static IP from the console.

THE_KINGDOM

Explorer
I'm managed to restore ZRF volumes still intact in RAID1, thank god.. jails seemed to be restored also as they are part of the configured datasets. However the plugins are missing, so I will manually re-install those and configure them to the existing jails.

How do I set the network interface to be on a static network ip? It used to be on 192.168.0.30, now since resetting to factory defualts it's on 192.168.0.21, but I'd like to have it on static at .30 if possible

mjws00

Guru
I always set up a static reservation in my router's dhcp server, or just use the menu in the console. However, there is an option in the gui network interfaces, to add the interface and configure. It works well.

THE_KINGDOM

Explorer
ok so I've quickly learned that after restoring the ZRF volume, you can then restore the config file which conveniently restores the plugins also

THE_KINGDOM

Explorer
I always set up a static reservation in my router's dhcp server, or just use the menu in the console. However, there is an option in the gui network interfaces, to add the interface and configure. It works well.

is that under /network/static routes in the GUI?
Destination network would be the interface network IP?

mjws00

Guru
Nope. Click Network on the left. Select Interfaces at the top. Add interface.

THE_KINGDOM

Explorer
Nope. Click Network on the left. Select Interfaces at the top. Add interface.

thanks, that worked. got it back on a static.

Do you happen to know why changing the name servers, may have resulted in loss to the network interface??

mjws00

Guru
Nope. Can't tell what you did or what a 'loss to the network interface' means. Could have been cached data in your ARP tables became invalid. Not sure if it was CIFS name resolution, DNS, or what was going on. If it was windows, and browsing shares that went sideways... that isn't uncommon. Access via IP is pretty much bulletproof.

THE_KINGDOM

Explorer
Actually when I create a static interface, I lose my DNS servers entirely, so the GUI is unable to resolve addresses for updates and plugin list etc. How would I add back in the DNS servers?

mjws00

Guru
The global configuration tab right beside interfaces is where you set the name servers.

THE_KINGDOM

Explorer
The global configuration tab right beside interfaces is where you set the name servers.
ok, so I just put the same name servers that were there from when I had DHCP enabled. I originally changed the name servers, with the hope of speeding up the torrent downloads, I'm now starting to think that changing the name servers is not what stopped me from having network access to the GUI but rather the fact that it was DHCP and perhaps the network IP had changed.

Anyway I now have it set to static.

Any suggestion on name servers?

Status
Not open for further replies.