Repurposing of HP Proliant DL160 G6 for TrueNAS?

benze

Dabbler
Hi,

I have an old HP DL160 Gen6 sitting around that I would like to repurpose for a TrueNAS server. It is a basic setup;
- 1U
- dual-Xeon CPUs (Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5650 @2.67GHz)
- 72G RAM
- dual bay (but would ordering a 4bay backplane for it for ~30$)
- onboard Intel 82801JI (ICH10 Family) SATA controlled (no external HDD controller)

I realize that the hardware is quite old, but it is sitting in the basement collecting dust, so I figured I could try to reuse it.

I saw a bunch of older posts indicating that it wasn't recommended (too old), but have difficulty understanding how something that is still fairly powerful with a significant amount of ram would be poorly performant.

My goal is to use this as a home NAS primarily as a file server, servicing:
1 - file server for office-style documents
2 - file server for Emby Media (Emby is running on a different server)
3 - backup client to B2 storage
4 - backup server for local devices (ie: backing up macos laptop to the unit)

I would be installing TrueNAS as a bare-metal install. No plans to install ESX or XCP on this machine.

So the questions I find myself asking are:
1) will this hardware setup be functional, or do I absolutely need a separate HDD controller?
2) given the limitation of 4bays on this machine, is 2x RAID1 more effective / efficient than a RAIDZ2? Both would give me the same failure tolerance. Is there a beneficial reason to select Z2?
3) if I want to grow in time and get myself an 8-10bay machine, will I be able to simply pull the drives and move them to a new server? If so, do I simply need to reinstall the TrueNAS OS onto the new server? Are all the configs be stored in the data drives?

What would be the best/most efficient approach to leveraging this machine?

Thanks for any insights and/or advice.

Eric

Last edited:

ChrisRJ

Wizard
1) If that controller has any RAID functionality it won't work in a reliable fashion. If it is plain SATA, you are ok.
2) Please read up on the subject. You will need to development a certain level of understanding to make an informed decision.
3) ZFS drives can generally be moved around like you mention. There are some minor side conditions, but in general this will work.