Replacing HDD. Low on space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Black

Dabbler
I currently have :
1xWD3Tb Red & 3xWD1Tb Green

I am looking to set up 2x WD Red 6TB.

The goal is to replace all my drives for the 2 WD Reds and have all my data transfer as well.

This will help as I am currently low on space And I would like to upload all my music to my Plex server.

I appreciate your time.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
And do you have room to add the 2 new disks at the same time your existing ones are installed?

joeschmuck

Old Man
Maybe a little more information of your system hardware would help, but if you have enough SATA ports to connect the two 6TB REDS, of course you could create a mirror and then start moving your data over. Whatever you do, do not add the new drives to your old pool, very very bad move.

Chris Black

Dabbler
Maybe a little more information of your system hardware would help, but if you have enough SATA ports to connect the two 6TB REDS, of course you could create a mirror and then start moving your data over. Whatever you do, do not add the new drives to your old pool, very very bad move.

Here is my build
Motherboard: ASRock E3C226D2I LGA 1150 Mini-ITX (Replacement)
Cpu: Intel® Core™ i3-4130 Processor (Replacement)
Ram: Kingston 16GB ValueRAM 1333 MHz ECC CL9 (Replacement)
HDD: 1xWD3Tb Red & 3xWD1Tb Green
USB(install): Kingston Data Traveller Ultimate 32GB(it was a buy 1 get 1/2 off)
PSU: Corsair CX430m
Case: BitFenix Prodigy Arctic White

Purpose:
Media Back Up
Media streaming to tablet for when around the city(Plex).
Video Game back up (.isos)
Personal Cloud to share with family and friends.
Need it to be online 24/7 (quiet)

And do you have room to add the 2 new disks at the same time your existing ones are installed?

I will check when I get home if I have enough Sata Ports. Now that I think of It I sure hope so. To transfer all that data and reconfigure Plex is a B_tch.

*UPDATE* I do have room for 2 more drives.

Granted this is a build I created in Jan 2014 and haven't touched it since setting up. Plex took a while to get going but it has been going smooth ever since. I am expanding to put my whole movie and music collection. Music alone is 1.2 TB I have cds ripped from mid 90s even have albums in .rm format. Real Player Call back.

danb35

Hall of Famer
currently they are are all attached to the mother board through Sata.
Not really what I was looking for. Are the two existing drives set up as two separate volumes, are they striped, are the mirrored? Post a screen shot of the volume status screen, or the output of 'zpool status' from the command line, to clarify.

Chris Black

Dabbler
Not really what I was looking for. Are the two existing drives set up as two separate volumes, are they striped, are the mirrored? Post a screen shot of the volume status screen, or the output of 'zpool status' from the command line, to clarify.

I will post it when I get home tonight.

Chris Black

Dabbler
LKTvAXi.png

danb35

Hall of Famer
Getting there--it shows there's only one volume, but not the layout. Click the top line in this list (the first "MBS_Shared"), and then the volume status button, which looks like a sheet of notebook paper. It will appear at the bottom when you click the volume.

Chris Black

Dabbler
Getting there--it shows there's only one volume, but not the layout. Click the top line in this list (the first "MBS_Shared"), and then the volume status button, which looks like a sheet of notebook paper. It will appear at the bottom when you click the volume.
Sd2a4ir.png

danb35

Hall of Famer
That shows only one disk, and the previous screen showed only a single volume. This makes it look like the 3 x 1 TB disks aren't being used at all.

Chris Black

Dabbler
I had done If i remember correctly I think ZFS Raid. my 6gb turned into 3GB. It faintly remember the set up process.

Chris Black

Dabbler
This makes the process of putting in 2x6tb Red much easier.

Question Plex is installed on the usb right?

Chris Black

Dabbler
I receive my drives on Monday. If I am correct to add the 2x6TB I go to Volume Manager -> Chose Volume to extend (it shows "Extending an encrypted volume will reset the passphrase and recovery key!"-> I chose my 2x6TB -> is it Add Extra Device or Extend Volume?

Is the process above correct.

I appreciate your help.
I started this as a DIY project because my dropbox free GBs for 2 years ended and had tons of videos and photos to back up. No I have a mean Media Center

Status
Not open for further replies.