SOLVED replacing components

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theapplefuture

Dabbler
Hallo everybody,

first I'm not 100% sure if this topic belongs here, so correct me if I'm wrong.

My question is about the replacement of specific components.
I don't want a manual but only a short information for two cases.

Case 1 - A HDD fails :
If a HDD fails, can I just replace it with a new one and all data (RAID-Z2 Configuration) will automactilcay be restored on my HDD ?

Case 2 - CPU / RAM / Motherboard fails :
I think I would be able to find out what component fails, BUT the question is, can I simply replace the component which fails and the system continues to run ?
For example if the motherboard AND CPU fails, can I simply buy a new CPU and a new Mainboard and plug everything in and the system runs as if nothing happens or can it be that I need to do more than just that ?

And what if the USB drive on which my OS is stored and booted from fails, are my personal files in danger or is this no problem ?

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
If a HDD fails, can I just replace it with a new one and all data (RAID-Z2 Configuration) will automactilcay be restored on my HDD ?

Yes. But you must follow the procedure, don't just pull the bad drive and put the new drive in.

can I simply replace the component which fails and the system continues to run ?

Yes.

And what if the USB drive on which my OS is stored and booted from fails, are my personal files in danger ?

No. Just reinstall to a new drive and upload your saved config (so remember to save the config...), that's all. NB: I recommend a SSD, far better than USB sticks (even a mirror of them).

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Case 1. It is manually initiated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.