Hangs after running the "pkg upgrade" command

akumanova68

Dabbler
Dear All,

I am new to freenas 11.2. I install the freenas under VMWare platform with all default options. Once the freenas successfully boot, I login as root and run the "pkg update" and "pkg upgrade -y" in order to update the system. (My target is to install openvpn and tomcat).

Unfortunately, freenas is unable to startup after a reboot and hangs in a process:

"Trying to mount root from zfs:freenas-boot/ROOT/default []...
middlewared: loaded plugin boot

If I wait for a long enough time, it continues but the system fails (unable to login through web interface)

May I know anybody can advise how to resolve this? Thanks.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I am new to freenas 11.2. I install the freenas under VMWare platform with all default options. Once the freenas successfully boot, I login as root and run the "pkg update" and "pkg upgrade -y" in order to update the system. (My target is to install openvpn and tomcat).
FreeNAS, although it is based on FreeBSD, is a software appliance that is not intended to be modified in that way. You would need to install any additional packages inside jails, not directly into the FreeNAS system.

akumanova68

Dabbler
Dear Chris,

I am still in a learning path and thanks for your reply in advance. Since my first target is to install tomcat, and I try to use the command "pkg install openjdk8", and then "pkg install tomcat9".

These two commands are work only once, but after reboot, it seems that the JDK no more working.

From your last response, should I also install "openjdk" and "tomcat" inside "jail"? I find that some installations using the "pkg" command seems not working, or the config files are reset / removed.

If the "openjdk" or "tomcat" has to be installed under "jail", can you refer some document so that I can follow? Thank you very much.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
From your last response, should I also install "openjdk" and "tomcat" inside "jail"?
Not also, but instead.

Only install packages in jails.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality

akumanova68

Dabbler
Hi Sretalla,

Thanks for your reply. I read 14.4.1 and try to follow the way to install the package, e.g. "pkg install openjdk8", I can see the error message as follow:

[21/23] Upgrading mkfontscale from 1.1.2 to 1.2.1...
pkg: mkfontscale-1.2.1 conflicts with mkfontdir-1.0.7 (installs files into the same place). Problematic file: /usr/local/bin/mkfontdir

First of all, is this the correct approach to install openjdk8? Did you also successfully install any JDK? Thanks.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Have you run pkg update && pkg upgrade already first? (in the jail shell)

akumanova68

Dabbler
Hi Sretalla,

Super thanks for your help. I originally do not have the "jail" concept but now I know it, thanks for your remind.
I successfully install the openJDK as well as the tomcat and able to kick start under the jail.

I simply create the jail through GUI, and switch to the jail console to install the openJDK & tomcat.

After I install tomcat, I have a problem to kick start, and I eventually add a "vendor.conf" to run the "startup.sh" in order to make the tomcat start when the jail starts, and modify the rc.shutdown to shutdown the tomcat once the jail ends.

Although I am not sure whether the above is correct procedures, it works.

However I have a problem, I try to setup the network interface. I don't want to be DHCP and I hope to make it static IP.

My Freenas ip is 192.168.1.109, and I hope to make the tomcat to be 192.168.1.110.
I try to setup several parameters in the jail GUI as an enclosed picture:

VNET / Berkeley Packet Filter checkbox is checked.
IPv4 Interface = le0
IPv4 Address = 192.168.1.110
IPv4 Netmask = 24
IPv4 default Router = none

But I cannot make it work... I research on the internet for a day and no luck, any hints?

In addition, is it possible to use the same IP address (e.g. 192.168.1.109:8080) to connect to the tomcat? Any help would be appreciated, thank you very much.

Attachments

• cap1.png
    cap1.png
    13.1 KB · Views: 321

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
You will need to set the default router to something or your jail won't get out of your network.

The screenshot seems to show you selected the bridge as the interface... this is normally set to em0 or igb0 (depends on your NIC driver).

Otherwise, your settings look OK.

I recommend avoiding the sharing of the FreeNAS GUI IP (you would need to not use VNET in that case) as it can cause problems that are difficult to diagnose.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I eventually add a "vendor.conf" to run the "startup.sh" in order to make the tomcat start when the jail starts, and modify the rc.shutdown to shutdown the tomcat once the jail ends.
You could probably search a bit and see if there's a service installed as part of the pkg, in which case you could probably use something like sysrc tomcat_enable="YES" and then service tomcat start. services set to enabled automatically start with the jail and are gracefully stopped on jail stop.

akumanova68

Dabbler
Hi Sretalla,

I follow your instruction and seems no luck.

I set the default router to either 192.168.1.1 (My physical router IP address) or 192.168.1.109 (Freenas IP address), I still cannot connect.

If I uncheck the VNET, the "IPv4 Default Router" field gray out, and I even cannot start the Jail.

May I know anything I miss? Thanks for your help.

akumanova68

Dabbler
For Sretella,

I also enclosed the setting for your reference, thank you very much.

Attachments

• cap1.png
    cap1.png
    13.6 KB · Views: 252

sretalla