replacing a dead drive in a week or so

Status
Not open for further replies.

VegasTech

Cadet
Hello all,
I'm looking for some guidance on replacing a failed drive. The FreeNAS docs walks through the process and I've read a few posts in the forums about other experiences. One thing I have yet to get a clear picture on is can I 'offline' the disk, pull it, and replace it in 2 weeks (I'll be RMA'ing the disk)? Right now the NAS is being used as a backup point for servers, there are (4) drives in RAIDZ2. It can stumble along in a degraded state. I'm under the impression it is safe to run in a degraded state and reboot the NAS a few times and things stay aware of the current status - no drive since it was offline'd and pulled.

* FreeNAS-11.0-U2 (e417d8aa5)
* msg from system: The volume ds01 state is DEGRADED: One or more devices has been removed by the administrator. Sufficient replicas exist for the pool to continue functioning in a degraded state.
* and a big &^%$!# since all of the drives are less than 3 months old
* the drives are running off the SATA ports on the mobo, no RAID controllers (running in JBOD)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It's as safe as running an equivalent RAIDZ1 pool. Less than ideal, but not the end of the world.

Stux

MVP
Recently went through same scenario. Ran one of my 8-way Raidz2 vdevs with an offline drive for a couple of weeks awaiting an RMA.

It was only a 3 weeks old too.

Sucks but.

danb35

Hall of Famer
One thing I have yet to get a clear picture on is can I 'offline' the disk, pull it, and replace it in 2 weeks (I'll be RMA'ing the disk)?
As the others have said, yes, you can do this. You might want to see whether you can advance RMA the disk, though--I know WD will do that for a nominal fee (or at least would, the last time I replaced one of theirs).

ethereal

Guru
one of the reasons i use wd is if they are under warranty they will immediately ship you a replacement drive if you ask for it.

i don't think you have to pay - but they do put a hold on your credit card in case you don't send them the faulty drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.