BUILD Replacement of current system. (From:AMD,non-ECC,Realtek To:Intel,ECC,Intel)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I'v been using FreeNAS from October 2012 and I'm very satisfied with what is does for me.
Now i'd like to upgrade/replace it.

I'm using a setup that most users would pass on today, AMD, non-ECC and Realtek NIC
The drives I use in this setup is 4x WD Green 3TB, that I'm planning to reuse in additional pools.

Now I'm planning to build something more serious with parts that has better hardware-support.
I'v done reading on the forums, but I sure have missed something.

Now for the hardware that I plan to purchase for this new build.

Fractal Design Node 804 chassi,
this will fit 10x 3.5" and 2x 2.5" drives, I'm planning on using all 10 slots for 3.5"

6xWD Green/Red 3TB for the first pool,
these model has been working fine in the current setup so ill stick with them.

Supermirco X10SL7-F,
as suggested by danb35

Intel-Xeon-Processor-E3-1230
as suggested by danb35

Samsung M391B1G73QH0-YK0
4x 8gb modules = 32gb

Fractal Design Newton R3 600W/1000W,
the 600W is listed to support 9 sata, and the 1000w 12.
Not sure what way to go here, if it is just the cables and Watts that differ and not the number of ports on the actual unit.
600W, will that be enough?

SanDisk Ultra Fit 16gb
Two of these for mirrored boot.

APC Back-UPS BX700U
I have never used an UPS before, I'm very open for input on this area.

What I use FreeNAS for today
Right now im using my FreeNAS for storage and playback of handball-matches that are recorded in 1080p, and backups of my laptop and desktop.

What I will I use FreeNAS for
This pool will be for the handball-matches
This pool is not encrypted today, but I'd like the new pool to be.
This will take the new 6x Red-drives. RAID-Z2

I would like to have an OpenVPN-server in a jail, for this ill use 2x of the current Green-drives. RAID-Z1

I'm also planning on running a jail to user as a programming envirement, for this ill also use 2x of the current Green-drives. RAID-Z1

I wonder if you see any big mistakes in my build or something that should be upgraded or added,
I have some room to additions in my budget.

Br
Sebastian

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
You won't use two disks in a RAIDZ1 configuration; that requires at least three. You could use them as mirrors, though. To my knowledge, FreeNAS doesn't support having different jails on different pools. You can configure it to have jails on a different pool from your main data pool, but all the jails will be on the same pool.

Use an LSI HBA. The M1015 is; the Supermicro card you linked isn't. Or use an X10SL7-F motherboard with appropriate processor (an E3-1230v3 should work nicely) and you won't need a separate HBA. You'll probably spend less money too.

More RAM never hurts, but 16 GB should be entirely adequate for what you describe as your use case--I'd buy two sticks, and only add the other two if performance degrades.

You won't use two disks in a RAIDZ1 configuration; that requires at least three. You could use them as mirrors, though.
Done, and done.

To my knowledge, FreeNAS doesn't support having different jails on different pools. You can configure it to have jails on a different pool from your main data pool, but all the jails will be on the same pool.
Ok, what i wanted to do was separate the disk-load from one jail to another.

Use an LSI HBA. The M1015 is; the Supermicro card you linked isn't. Or use an X10SL7-F motherboard with appropriate processor (an E3-1230v3 should work nicely) and you won't need a separate HBA. You'll probably spend less money too.
Done, and done!

More RAM never hurts, but 16 GB should be entirely adequate for what you describe as your use case--I'd buy two sticks, and only add the other two if performance degrades.
The RAM i don't mind spending some extra on.

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
If you want more info for the PSU sizing then see this thread ;)

jgreco

Resident Grinch
And of course you found it neccessary to remove all of the useful information.

I don't get paid to be a moderator on this forum.

I asked you nicely to stop it. You haven't. I will be progressively less-nice about how I frame my requests for you to stop it.

Right now.... There's a penalty for trolling. I *might* choose to edit your post, or remove your post, or do nothing to your post. It pretty much depends on my estimation of the usefulness of your information, not your valuation of its usefulness. It also depends on how much effort I wish to invest, which varies with coffee, time of day, busy-ness level, whether I'm on mobile, and other factors.

This subtopic ends here. This is a poster's thread and this should be focused on helping the poster.

Status
Not open for further replies.