Hard drives - quick question

Status
Not open for further replies.

KMR

Contributor
Hey Folks,

I'm planning on building a FreeNAS box for my brother for Xmas and want to keep the cost as low as possible. Cyberjock, I know this is making you sweat already, but don't worry! I'm still going to use a SM motherboard, ECC RAM, and a UPS. This will encompass most of the cost as I already have a PSU and hard drives. Here is the problem: I have 2x WD Green 3tb drives and 2x Seagate 7200RPM 3TB drives. I was thinking of running a 3x3TB RAIDZ1 setup on this machine and if the pool ever detonates I can restore from my server. Is there a problem with mixing 5400RPM and 7200RPM drives? I would like to keep the cost down so buying another drive (of either kind) would be nice, but if I have to bite the bullet I will.

Thanks!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
It's not a problem to mix the drives at all. Latency will be a little weird, but nothing you are likely to ever notice in a home setting.

Don't forget to wdidle.exe those Greens!

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Yeah let me just augment what CJ said. The greens will work great, but you DEFINITELY want to run wdidle.exe on them before you use them in a NAS. If you don't know what we're talking about, just say so, and we can explain.

KMR

Contributor
Yeah, I know what it is for and I will use it. Can someone provide a link to the tool?

Thx

Status
Not open for further replies.