Remote Mapping a Share (Network Drive)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Everyone,

First off, I searched for remote map drive and only got stuff about local.

Secondly, I dont care about the security of it as I dont have sensitive data on my FreeNAS.

Okay to start when I try to map a drive outside my network (Windows), I go to Map Network Drive, choose a free drive letter.

now for the folder I put \\mydyndns.account(No port)\CIFS share that has guest access (Ive tried it with a CIFS that uses creds).

Now two things ususally happen, I get a prompt for entering creds ( which I use my account or the root) and it just hangs. Or it asks which domain do you want to join to which I either do the one I have for local or I use my dyndns i.e. mydyndns\FreeNAS account name.

So question is does freenas need a special port open? Did I do something wrong along the way?

FYI I can mount my shares (Drives) via local with cred or without just fine.

If there is a tutorial please just paste the link as I couldnt find anything.

PERMISSIONS FOR CIFS SHARE

http://imgur.com/r4HsM1G

FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201512121950

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    29.3 KB · Views: 486
Last edited:

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Never, ever, ever, publicly expose your freenas server to the internet. Especially a CIFS server. Treat your server as already compromised, Reinstall Freenas. Start reading on how to set up a VPN.

FYI, CIFS only works on a local network. No amount of brazenly ignoring anything written about computer security will help with that one.

m0nkey_

MVP

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I'm confused on why you would share out your Plex dataset, when you can just punch a hole in router for Plex and use it that way

Status
Not open for further replies.