Q4permissions on CIFS share: Guest read + admin rwe on shares + admin only share

Status
Not open for further replies.

wowbagger

Cadet
Hey guys,

as the topic states I kinda need some difficult permissions for my cifs shares set.
Here is what I have:
1) Raid-Z1 Volume
1.1) Dataset_z1_a
1.2) Dataset_z1_b
1.n) Dataset_z1_n
2) Raid-Z2 Volume
2.1) Dataset_z2_a

What I want is, that all guys on the LAN (random guests) can read-only the shares 1.1 to 1.n.
but besides that I want an admin to be able to perform any operation on these shares.

For the share 2.1 I want admin-only access what so ever.
the problem is, that "admin" uses multiple computers on the lan and all have different login credentials on their respective computers. So i kinda need a local authentification where as local means the nasbox.
I think this can be done under windows by mapping a network share using different login credentials. That being said, I'd create drive mappings for all the relevant shares with the admin credentials from all the admin devices and thus have full access to all the shares from every device.

a random guest in the the LAN would not have the admin creds and thus could see and browse the shares, but only as a guest with its penalities.
the special thing about how I want it to work is, that the guest does not have to enter any login details. meaning, if I smb: to the nasbox, I want to see the shares and access them automatically as guest and once i map a cifs-share with different creds, i want them to be the admin ones to have rwe-rights.

Sadly, I have less than 0 clue how to do that in freenas 8.3. All my try-and-error failed horribly and all guides that I read did not cover dual permission on share (guest +!! admin) but either or.

I hope there is some1 out that can help me.

kind regards,
wowbagger

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Permissions are one of those things that you'll have to learn on your own so you will know how to properly apply them to your server. I am trying to put together a guide for FreeNAS, but I'm really expecting it to be useless since so many permissions guides already exist. It's one of those things you just have to "understand" and not just say "check this and this and this and done". It's about understanding and comprehending the information and then applying it for your situation.

wowbagger

Cadet
I appreciate your answer and would prefer understanding permissions over just "clicking here and here".
But is it possible to do, what I want to do in the first place?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Absolutely The trick is figuring out how to do it. What you are asking for is relatively easy. That's where the whole understanding thing is.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If you give me a couple of days I should have my presentation up for permissions. I just need to get it finished and reviewed by 1 or 2 people to make sure I haven't made any mistakes.

wowbagger

Cadet
Okay, that sounds very good, that it is possible and comparably easy.

I will wait for your presentation about permissions and take a loong and deep look at it. Maybe I can understand it better with your help.

thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.