SMB Share Permission via Windows Network Drive (IIS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sectoid

Cadet
I have created a FreeNAS user (userABC). I set the owner of the storage volume I want to share to the userABC. I created an SMB share to that storage volume and I made to sure to choose Windows as the share type.

I am successfully able to map a network drive (W:) on my windows server to the //freenas/share using the userABC account credentials and browser the data.
I setup a IIS Website that points the physical path for the files to the mapped drive. When I attempt to hit that IIS website I receive a permission error trying to access the files. Error is 500.19 - unable to read configuration file

I believe the permission issue is around the IIS service trying to hit the network location instead of my userABC account. I have tried to update various IIS settings and haven't been able to get past these issues.

Any help is appreciated, please be as specific as possible as I have many failed attempts already.

m0nkey_

MVP
What I recall of IIS, your IIS instance needs to run as the user accessing the data or give IUSR_MachineName permission to read/write.

sectoid

Cadet
When you say give the IUSR_MachineName permission to read/write, do you mean to do that inside of FreeNas? I am unable to set the permissions for the any local windows accounts on the Mapped Drive permission interface. It only shows the FREENAS instance.

Status
Not open for further replies.