WebDAV file size limit?

JustinOtherBobo

Dabbler
On FreeNAS 11.1 - U6.3 I have created a dataset, configured WebDAV, and mapped the WebDAV accessible folder into a Windows Server 2012 instance.

Smaller files transfer fine and with relative few problems (there were problems when I tried to transfer thousands of small files)

A single 26GB file is a no go so far.

I've eventually done a straight up windows file explorer copy and paste to the mapped folder and it bombs with: "The file is too large for the destination file system"

Is there a WebDAV file size limit in FreeNAS?

There is chatter about a 4GB WebDAV file size limit in Windows but that is in reference to running WebDAV with IIS and Windows Server as the back-end storage, the reverse of what I am doing.

Am I missing something that I should be configuring in FreeNAS to get around this?

Thank you.

CaraquetFlyer

Dabbler
Hello @JustinOtherBobo

EDIT: IT'S NOT FAT32 issue but webdav limitation in windows.

It seems that your Windows file system is format in FAT32 and not NTFS so a single file is not able to be over a size of 4GB. It is not a Webdav settings.

222902.jpg

Last edited:

JustinOtherBobo

Dabbler
I was about to reply that you're off the wall nuts (because why would I format a Server 2012 drive as FAT32, and where in FreeNAS does one format ZFS as FAT32).... but your comment made me check!

And guess what?

My FreeNAS WebDAV share when mapped as a drive in Windows 2012 shows up as "FAT"!

Not FAT32, not FAT16, not NTFS, not WebDAV, not ZFS, but "FAT"

Now if anyone knows why and how to change it!?!?