remote access to files

Status
Not open for further replies.

David.Fernando

Dabbler
Hi Guys,
Is there anyway of having remote access to the files on FN (not thru ssh) using ddns? I would like to have something like Tonido. I would like to access the files thru my usual file browser ( in my case Finder-Mac OSX)

Thanks

ProtoSD

MVP
Hi David,

I'm not sure if you understand what DDNS is, it's not a file transfer protocol. SSH really is the best choice, especially having a Mac. With ssh you can use "SSHFS" which will allow you to mount remote filesystems as a drive you can mount/see with Finder. Since both FreeNAS and your Mac both have ssh natively, they're both suited to use sshfs without the hassles us Windows users have to deal with. Here's a quick blog post I found that explains it in a little more detail for Mac.

http://blog.philippklaus.de/2011/07/sshfs-on-mac-os-x-10-6-8-with-fuse4x/

Any solution you find will require setting/opening ports on your router to allow ssh to pass through to your NAS. This is also where DDNS will help, your router probably supports it, but DDNS will figure out your IP address and post it up on a DDNS service that will allow you to find and connect to your router remotely, which when you have your port forwarding setup, will connect you to your NAS.

Status
Not open for further replies.