Recycle bin not working for dataset in dataset

darkhigh

Cadet
I have a problem that my Recycle Bin not store deleted file in .recycle, it only show folder structure in Recycle Bin for file that under dataset for dataset but the deleted file dose not exist.

solution i thinking :
1) copy all files and folders to new folder under root of share , yes the bin work like charm but i lose all windows permission from the old one.
2) remove dataset in dataset, or convert it to folder (looking for a way).
3) searching how to clone windows permission from old directory to new director.
4) searching how to clone entire directory with permission.

Someone please advise me a solution. :(

Last edited:

darkhigh

Cadet
@Dusan explains why it doesn't work in this post https://www.ixsystems.com/community...ers-files-do-not-appear-in-recycle-bin.14659/. You can still enable the recycle bin for the shares attached to each child dataset.

i have 2 more question
1. i try to config that only "wheel" can access Recycle Bin but it make non admin user's deleted file not go to recycle bin, is it have more advanced configuration?
2. can i change file permission after it moved to Recycle Bin? (i need to protect file and folder from delete after it in the Bin)

It appears you're trying to get the recycle bin to do what it was never designed to do.

Consider the behaviour of the recycle bin on say a Windows desktop. You delete a file from your machine and it appears in the recycle bin. If you made a mistake, you can drag that file out of the recycle bin. However, if you empty the recycle bin, that's it! The file is gone. FreeNAS shares with the Export Recycle Bin feature enabled pretty much model this behaviour. I'm could be wrong, but I don't think that what you're asking is possible with the recycle bin.

You may be able to achieve what you're trying to do with periodic snapshots. Refer to the User Guide at https://www.ixsystems.com/documentation/freenas/11.2/tasks.html#periodic-snapshot-tasks

Last edited:

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I fixed the recycle bin in 11.2-U3 (soon to be released). Recycle wasn't working across dataset boundaries and was running into permissions problems when creating the path components to the deleted file.

darkhigh

Cadet
I fixed the recycle bin in 11.2-U3 (soon to be released). Recycle wasn't working across dataset boundaries and was running into permissions problems when creating the path components to the deleted file.
glad to hear a good news, so it will work properly on 11.2-U3 right?

Last edited:

darkhigh

Cadet
Thanks. and can you suggest any solution for store deleted files, i have a Backup but i need to store deleted filea too.