SOLVED Recommended and Default SMART tests in FreeNAS GUI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pasquale61

Explorer
I just noticed in my GUI that I do not have any S.M.A.R.T tests scheduled. I thought I had something in there before I upgraded to 9.3, but I may be mistaken. This doc seems to confirm that SMART tests are scheduled by default, so I must have lost these settings somewhere along the way: http://doc.freenas.org/9.3/freenas_services.html?highlight=smart#s-m-a-r-t

So, I have two questions: 1) What are the recommended tests (long, short, etc) that should be "scheduled" and at what frequency?, and 2) "Should" I be using the GUI to schedule SMART tests? (I would prefer it...)

I have (5) 4TB HGST NAS drives in RAIDz2 if that helps.

Thanks

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
What I do is run a daily short test and a long test every two weeks.

Use the GUI to schedule them.

sremick

Patron
Somewhere there's a thread by Cyberjock where he gives his recommended schedule, but for some reason I'm not finding it at the moment. I copied his settings.

Pasquale61

Explorer
Somewhere there's a thread by Cyberjock where he gives his recommended schedule, but for some reason I'm not finding it at the moment. I copied his settings.

Thanks everyone! I bookmarked Cyberjock's link. It's a nice detailed summary of all the settings which can easily be modified if desired. I honestly could not find anything that summarized all of these settings in one place like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.