Need help understanding how to configure the SMART (and possibly the scrubs) tests.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xtreme Gamer

Cadet
I need help trying to configure the SMART tests for my freenas server. I don't understand a lot of the options in configuring the tests the way they are worded. And the scrub is default right now. I read that bad things happen when you schedule the smart tests at the same time as the scrub. So I would really appreciate it guys. Also, it looks like the default scrub are set to everyday. So maybe you can help me configure that too. Thanks if you can help me!!

m0nkey_

MVP
By default, scrubs are configured to run every 35 days. If you do a lot of writes, you may want scrubs to run more often. As for SMART, yes you want to schedule tests outside of the scrub period. If for whatever reason SMART and scrub are running at the same time, SMART will take longer to run as disk access activity usually takes priority.

Xtreme Gamer

Cadet
By default, scrubs are configured to run every 35 days. If you do a lot of writes, you may want scrubs to run more often. As for SMART, yes you want to schedule tests outside of the scrub period. If for whatever reason SMART and scrub are running at the same time, SMART will take longer to run as disk access activity usually takes priority.

So, how long do the short and long smart tests last each test?

danb35

Hall of Famer
So, how long do the short and long smart tests last each test?
Short tests are typically a few (less than 10) minutes. Long tests depend on many factors, significantly including drive capacity. My 6 TB drives take 10-12 hours for a long SMART test.

Dice

Wizard
Status
Not open for further replies.