Reallocated sector count 8 on IW Pro ST8000NE004

no_connection

Patron
I have a Synology NAS with four of those drives with about 17k hours on them. Now two out of four have popped up with 8 reallocated sector count about a month apart.
Nothing in between.
Internet seem to end up with a few post getting 8 as well.
I did run long tests on them and it seems to be just fine.
If it climbs in any way they will be replaced ofc, but just getting 8 seem weird. What do you guys think?

And would that be covered in warranty?

NugentS

MVP
Why are you posting here?
Synology​
IronWolf Pro ST8000Ne004​

Best people to ask about warranty would be Seagate

danb35

Hall of Famer
Why are you posting here?
Well, it is the OT section...

@no_connection, Seagate would be the definitive source for the warranty question, but I'd expect that if the disks aren't failing SMART self-tests, they probably aren't going to RMA them. As to whether I'd replace them now, it's borderline--my general rule is that a single-digit, and stable, number of bad sectors, with no other indicators of problems, isn't a reason to immediately replace. But one thing I want to see is regular SMART self-tests that are passing--not sure if those are running on your Synology.

NugentS

MVP

no_connection

Patron
It's a Synology NAS so I put it here, guess hardware would work but we.
Yea it's running regular short tests. It also scrubs with btrfs.
I just find it odd that it's 8. Although 512*8 is 4096 so maybe it's a whole chunk at the time and just counted that way?
I know Seagate would know but I thought that someone might have some experience with what they accept before making tickets and going the long way.