ATA error count increased - What is wrong?

mruby

Dabbler
Thanks, that is a great article.

Excuse my ignorance on this stuff. I am willing and would love to buy an updated and more efficient power supply. My chassis as I mentioned before holds 4 power supply blades, and can use them as redundant. To me though, this does not mean that if I have 2 plugged in, that it is only providing 350 watts of power. In fact, i'm not sure I could even boot up the server with only one running. I take it to mean i've got 700 watts available to me and no redundancy. On that note though, I did order more psu blades a few days ago since 2 of the 4 are bad. I will be putting 2 more in early next week when they arrive. But while we are on the subject, maybe someone wiser than me can help me out on this.

These are the power supplies that were in the server when I got it (an old throw away from a previous company).
T-Win PSM-ISR950EP 350W Power Supply Blades

I have been unsuccessful on figuring out whether these blades are universal (meaning I can buy a different brand, bigger wattage, etc. and plug them in). Or if they are made specifically for this chassis and I have to buy the exact same ones again, etc.

If I can upgrade do something that provides clean efficient power, I will do it in a heart beat. I just don't know enough about this to know what to look for.

Thanks again for all the help guys! I am slowly learning here :)

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
Yes, you have the equivalent of a 700 W PSU.

10 years old SATA cables? yeah... try some new ones.

They obviously didn't broke all at the same time, but maybe they are just underspeced for current SATA speeds... a bit like if you try to use CAT5 on a gigabit network, it might work or it might not... :)

mruby

Dabbler
Ok just an update here.

I've replace all sata cables with brand new sata 3 cables.

I've replaced the 2 bad power supplies and now have 4 X 350 watt power supplies.

The error count is not increasing daily like it was before but it still is on all disks but the m1015 disks.

Any other ideas I can try?

Thanks so much for everyone's help thus far!

mruby

Dabbler
Nevermind. It is happening frequently still. I've already gotten 3 alerts in the past 2 hours with it increasing each time. .. not sure what to think here.

Odub

Dabbler
Nevermind. It is happening frequently still. I've already gotten 3 alerts in the past 2 hours with it increasing each time. .. not sure what to think here.

Did you ever resolve this? I just got this error "0 to 1" on all of my drives at the same time

joeschmuck

Old Man
Did you ever resolve this? I just got this error "0 to 1" on all of my drives at the same time
While I understand that you are asking this question to the OP that had this problem before, I would recommend that you create a new posting and provide all the data about your system and any further details so we can offer you some assistance.

Cheers

Dantron

Dabbler
I had this same problem and fixed it, after reviewing this thread and applying the advice. I had too many hard drives on a single chain of power.

1) logged into BIOS and verified that there was no overclocking

2) (what likely fixed this) reviewed the cabling in my NAS and ensured that there were no more than 4 hard drives on a chain of power.

Attachments

• IMG_20190927_134324.jpg
    IMG_20190927_134324.jpg
    306.6 KB · Views: 552
Reactions: TAC