Random error Destination Folder access denied. but I have access?

Mkubiak402

Dabbler
ok Well I am a complete noob on this and I want to make the transition from my Windows 10PC as a PLEX/File sever to TrueNAS. I have an OLD Dell PowerEdge 2790 as my Test/learning computer going on right now I have had PLEX running on it and that all works good.
I would say sofar all the problems I ran in to I figured out.

this problem i cant fined a solution I'm moving a folder that contains 2Tb of software and Saved programs stuff on my windows 10 file server for my Retro PC's, Commodore, and Apple II drivers ect.
It will start copying everything fine, then ill hit some random ISO, Zip or exe just give me an ERROR Destination folder access denied. Ill hit skip and it will move on its marry way till it hit a different file that wants to make a problem.

Any help on where to look and start Thanks

Dual Six-Core AMD Opteron 2435
32Gb of ram

Screenshot 2023-03-03 133408.png

Screenshot 2023-03-03 133015.png

Last edited:

Mkubiak402

Dabbler
Is there no solution for this? I get 10 movies in from copying from my PC to this TrueNAS server and I hit this road block.
am I not describing the problem right? I cant be the only one...

Screenshot 2023-03-09 070408.png

Mkubiak402

Dabbler
I installed TrueNAS Scale and it fixed the problem. :confused: moved 5TB of data with out a problem.
Funny how I can copy 50+ files on "Core" and at random I get a Destination Folder access denied?

Thanks for the help guys..

Shambar

Cadet
I have the same problem as the one Mkubiak402 explained. While moving a Folder to a new location from my PC to the TrueNAS, in the middle of the transfer, 1 File will become a problem with the same error message "access destination.... ". Tested moving just that 1 file to another location on another pool, which gave the same result. Somehow its peaky which files it wanna move and which does not.

Tested so far: Another location with another set of permissions - No Joy
Updated the network to LAN exclusively, as I read that sometimes that shady WiFi router can cause.. - No Joy

Any idea what can be causing this, anyone?

SMB

Mkubiak402

Dabbler
I have the same problem as the one Mkubiak402 explained. While moving a Folder to a new location from my PC to the TrueNAS, in the middle of the transfer, 1 File will become a problem with the same error message "access destination.... ". Tested moving just that 1 file to another location on another pool, which gave the same result. Somehow its peaky which files it wanna move and which does not.

Tested so far: Another location with another set of permissions - No Joy
Updated the network to LAN exclusively, as I read that sometimes that shady WiFi router can cause.. - No Joy

Any idea what can be causing this, anyone?

SMB

yeah and i Legit setup a new server and the same thing happens.. good luck..

pschatz100

Guru
Without providing any system specs, hardware details and software version, it is really not possible to offer comments on your problem. If you check the Forum Rules at the top of the page there will be some guidance about this.

TrueNAS Scale is based on Linux and TrueNAS Core is based on FreeBSD. Different operating systems... If things work better on Scale then your problem is most likely related to Linux support versus FreeBSD support for your hardware.

Mkubiak402

Dabbler
Without providing any system specs, hardware details and software version, it is really not possible to offer comments on your problem. If you check the Forum Rules at the top of the page there will be some guidance about this.

TrueNAS Scale is based on Linux and TrueNAS Core is based on FreeBSD. Different operating systems... If things work better on Scale then your problem is most likely related to Linux support versus FreeBSD support for your hardware.

ok well i dont understand what hardware would be picky about some of the files moving from a Windows PC to TrueNAS Core.
but i tested it on two servers with Difrent hardware same problum.

My test server to test settings.
TrueNAS Core ver 13.0-U3 and 13.0-U4
Dell power Edge 2970
Dual Six-Core AMD Opteron 2435
32Gb ECC DDR2
Dell YK838 SAS6i/R 3Gbps HBA
8 500gb Samsung 860 evo RAIDZ1
Nic are Dell Broadcom Quad Port 5709 Gigabit PCIe Network Card Server 0R519P

The main to be the permnint server.
TrueNAS Core ver 3.0-U4
Supermicro X9SCM-F M-ATX E3-1270 3.4GHz
32GB ECC DDR3
2x Dell H310 SAS controlers in HBA mode
10 x seagate constellation 4TB drives in RAIDZ2
Dell Intel Pro/1000 Quad Port PCI-E Sever Network Card 0YT674 << now removed and in the PFseanse box in Bridged mode.

all had the basic install with 1 User set up and 1 data set.

it would copy 100 files over and get stuck on 1 hit skip and get stuck on another 50 or more down the road. If you cancled it and deleted the files started agen it would get stuck on the same ones "most of the time" it would do this on my Win 10pc for plex, wilfes and my PC. my friend came over with his laptop and same thing.

Last edited:

pschatz100

Guru
ok well i dont understand what hardware would be picky about some of the files moving from a Windows PC to TrueNAS Core.
but i tested it on two servers with Difrent hardware same problum.
There is a reason why the forum rules request that you post complete system specs: oftentimes, intermittent problems can be caused by hardware incompatibilities, issues with drivers, etc. To me, the fact that Scale works OK and Core does not would indicate that FreeBSD may have an issue with something in your hardware setup.

I don't have systems with HBA's so I cannot help you, but now that you have posted more information perhaps one of the experienced forum members will be able to offer suggestions. Good luck.

Shambar

Cadet
I managed to locate the problem, it was not on the NAS side but on the Windows workstation, after removing the "read-only" mark and "This File Came From Another Computer And Might be Blocked" tag on the folders, I was able to copy whole folders to the NAS location.

I hope this helps someone who faces the same obstacle while moving stuff to the NAS location.

regards,
SMB