Quickest way to backup everything?

Heracles

Wizard
A simple question confuses you? A suggestion? Right. What's a forum for then ?

You will end up ignored not because the experts here are confused but because it is impossible to help the one who does not want to be helped / is unable to receive help. From your post, this is your case.

TrueNAS is meant and designed for professional and enterprise level quality and service. External backup to USB is not part of this.
As an enterprise-class NAS, TrueNAS is meant to be the target for other backup tools or to backup itself to the same high level solution like another TrueNAS or another kind of infrastructure storage.

As for you asking if these where the only options, you clearly did not researched much for asking something like this. Where in this thread did you saw that what was discussed here was covering every possible option ?

Another point is your post that did not provide any details or informations about your need, your setup, config, etc.

Help yourself first, people will be able to help you more after that. In this case, it means to learn the basics about TrueNAS and the forum. Without that, it will not be possible for us to help you.

videopete

Dabbler
You will end up ignored not because the experts here are confused but because it is impossible to help the one who does not want to be helped / is unable to receive help. From your post, this is your case.

TrueNAS is meant and designed for professional and enterprise level quality and service. External backup to USB is not part of this.
As an enterprise-class NAS, TrueNAS is meant to be the target for other backup tools or to backup itself to the same high level solution like another TrueNAS or another kind of infrastructure storage.

As for you asking if these where the only options, you clearly did not researched much for asking something like this. Where in this thread did you saw that what was discussed here was covering every possible option ?

Another point is your post that did not provide any details or informations about your need, your setup, config, etc.

Help yourself first, people will be able to help you more after that. In this case, it means to learn the basics about TrueNAS and the forum. Without that, it will not be possible for us to help you.
I was not referring to all the experts - only you, who failed to respond to the OPs actual question. I'm not here to cause trouble, only gain knowledge which is what forums are all about - not having "experts" talk down to more junior members - sorry.

TrueNAS is not only for enterprise level quality and service as you stated, it can also be used as a home NAS. Given that, I was suggesting that there should be a simpler way to actually make a simple backup of the NAS' datasets rather than having to setup a completely separate NAS. Not everyone here has a 24 DISK NAS like you apparently do and probably multiple setups. Some of us have a simple setup and need to backup that NAS since a NAS in itself is not a backup solution. Its not as complicated as you make it out to be.

As to my setup/config that you asked for, that's completely irrelevant to my point. It won't help you answer or not answer my question in this particular case. It's a generic question / concern that can apply to anyone with a simple home NAS regardless of equipment.
Now saying all this, I really don't want or expect an answer from you on this particular topic.
If anyone else has any information that may actually assist other members, please, I urge you to post.

Thank you, and I apologize to other members who have to read through all this but I'm just making a point.

profzelonka

Explorer
Well, regardless of what anyone may claim, most genuine proper requests go unanswered on the forums or criticized and pulled apart on wording rather than the context and request. True/FreeNAS has always broken thru updates and people turn to forums for help and tend to have to resolve a lot on their own and sometimes the solutions get posted. So I get the frustration, no doubt. And I also am a home user. It would make sense to simplify backup as it's quite essential to enterprise as well.

Maybe it makes sense the way things are from their perspectives, and if it makes sense and suggestions for improvement aren't appreciated or are taken as criticism, then so be it - but this is how things are whether anyone likes it or not. I guess if people block others for whatever reason on forums, others have no choice to seek other software that work for them, but I'm not recommending that as a solution and don't beleive blocking anyone is a solution either. I think we can all find a good balance because at the end of the day people don't care to anger others but to finish their day peacefully.

Does TrueNAS accept feature requests, anywhere?

sretalla