Did a stupid thing about datasets..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plato

Contributor
Hi,

I had 2 pools and 1 dataset in each,

media and media2..

I was using media for my Movies, but because it had so much free space, I decided to create another dataset under it for my personal backups..

So it was like this in storage:

media
|-media
|-backup

Of course this created the second dataset like a folder under media. So it was like this in the freenas:

/mnt/media/backup

In the jail I mounted the /mnt/media/backup as /backup..

But there was also /Movies ( which was mount point for /mnt/media ) and there was a backup folder under it..

There was some confusion I think but after moving files from here to there etc, there was different files under /backup and /Movies/backup..

So I moved everything from /Movies/backup to /backup...

'til then everything was still ok. The SMB share /mnt/media/backup was still working..

But then I did a stupid thing..

I removed ( rm -f ) /Movies/backup directory from the jail because it was empty...

Then it happened..

My SMB share is now empty.. I'm getting this error every 10 secs:

Code:
freenas collectd[3687]: statvfs(/mnt/media/backup) failed: No such file or directory

The thing is the mount point on the jail (/backup) is still works.. and it's mounted to /mnt/media/backup which also doesn't exist anymore..

But when I try to create another mount point on the jail, now I can't see /mnt/media/backup folder.. Which it means while files are still there, there is no way to access them now other than from jail for now..

Is there a way for me to fix this mess?

Plato

Contributor
Fixed..

unmounting media/backup and remounting on the host solved the problem..

Status
Not open for further replies.