Everything from yesterday just vanished....

Status
Not open for further replies.

TDI

Dabbler
So I opened a project I was working on yesterday and everything was fine.All of a sudden I get an error message saying that all the footage I used yesterday is missing. I go to where the directory should be and it's gone. It was here a few minutes ago when I opened the project, but now it's completely gone. I checked the snapshots all the way back to last Friday, when I created the project and noting... It's like it never existed.

We had a power outage yesterday, but I have everything hooked up to a battery backup and was able to shut everything down safely. I was not able to backup everything I was working on at the time though. Luckily I had the project open, so I was able to save it and I just have to download some stock footage again and recut a VO for it, but this does not leave me feeling confident about FreeNAS for anything valuable since this seems like it could happen at any time. Does anyone have any idea what happened, how to prevent this from happening again or if there is any chance of recovering the files when this happens?

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
I'm having a hard time following what happened. So to summarize: you were able to shutdown your freenas, but the files in your application were open at that time. And then you tried to save. And then later when freenas was powered on things disappeared.

TDI

Dabbler
No, I was able to shut down my project and FreeNAS as I should. Everything was saved fine before Shutting down. I turned everything back on this morning and opened the project and everything was there. I was putting the finishing touches on the project and the entire directory it was in just vanished.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
I've never heard of that happening. What application are you using, and how is the share on freenas configured?

TDI

Dabbler
I wish I had never heard of this happening. The share is a AFP share with everything set to the defaults. I was working in Adobe After Effects, which has no ability to delete anything off of a hard drive as far as I know. Even if it had deleted it, it should have shown up in the snapshot.

I do have a couple issues, which may or may not be related. One of my Snapshots I loaded on Friday can not be removed. I do all the steps to remove it, but it is still there. Also, I have lost the ability to search my AFP share since I loaded the snapshots on friday. I assume this has to do with loading snapshots messing with the indexing of the drive and I am reindexing the drive now.

EDIT: I just tried deleting the snapshot again and it worked this time. I had tried at least 4 times before and it did not.

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
What's your hardware please?

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
Ok, it's definitely not that.

@all maybe the zpool history would be useful?

maglin

Patron
Make a CIFS share to that same dataset as your AFP share. AFP shares are buggy at times. CIFS although maybe slower are pretty solid. If the data was written to disk then it is still there.

You can also SSH into FreeNAS and navigate to the dataset in /mnt and you should find your files.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Yes, the hardware looks fine...

As a start, I'd be interested in seeing what's really present in the AFP share directory. @TDI, can you log on to the box (with SSH, or open a shell) and navigate to the AFP dataset directory on your pool? Then pull a directory (ls -l) and see if the contents match what you see when browsing to it from your OS X desktop. Even better would be to connect with WinSCP and explore it that way. But either way, go and see what's really there.

Ah! I see that @maglin beat me to it with the same idea!

TDI

Dabbler
It looks like it was an issue with the mac seeing the FreeNAS machine. After starting up the mac today, I noticed that everything is showing up again. I should have tried restarting yesterday, but I kept putting it off because I was so busy. Next time I see an issue like this, that is the first thing I will try.

One issue that is still there is the ability to search the Share. I was able to do this fine until I loaded a snapshot on Friday. I reindexed the share again yesterday, but I can only search the share by going to the root directory of the share. If i try to search from any of the subfolders I get no result. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Glorious1

Guru
One issue that is still there is the ability to search the Share. I was able to do this fine until I loaded a snapshot on Friday. I reindexed the share again yesterday, but I can only search the share by going to the root directory of the share. If i try to search from any of the subfolders I get no result. Any ideas on how to fix this?

I would try excluding the shared volume from Spotlight (by dragging it into the privacy box of Spotlight in System Settings). Once that takes effect, delete that exclusion listing. Or is that what you mean by "reindexing"?

TDI

Dabbler
I would try excluding the shared volume from Spotlight (by dragging it into the privacy box of Spotlight in System Settings). Once that takes effect, delete that exclusion listing.

That's the only way I know of doing it. For being an "easy to use OS" OSX sure makes a lot of things overly complicated. I may try setting things up as a CIFS share as recommended over the weekend. I read that you should be able to use the indexing trick on a Windows format share, but I haven't tried it yet. This would also allow me to use the recycle feature, which would be better than loading a snapshot every time I accidentally delete a file.

Status
Not open for further replies.