Quick advise 3-part question from newbie: Create a backup, for my data & online ftp upload

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrStein99

Cadet
I just configured FreeNas and it's running good, using Samba to store my data and media for my workstations. If / when a problem occurs; drive crash, cpu/power malfunction, or otherwise disaster - I want to be prepared to have operational back-up to all the live data I am storing. For example, I have 500gb of GROSS storage total. I will physically install another 500gb hdd (drive #2) in the same machine. My question is (and I apologize if this is obvious, I feel confused and overwhelmed with the amount of information I tried to read on my own):

1) Can someone provide me with links, or explain what I need to study for the procedures, functions/menu to configure FreeNas to only use (drive #2) to replicate & schedule routine safe backup from my main data?

2) I sometimes make mistakes and over-write or delete files/directories. If I accidentally delete a "old pictures" directory. Then 1 day later, change my mind, and need that directory/files again. How can I configure Freenas for me to access and recover a directory & files from 2-7 days before?

3) I will explore configure online ftp (or secure encrypted transfer) site to store my data volume as a backup for a virtual redundant system. What links, menu settings or procedure can I study to understand how to configure FreeNas for a nightly comparative upload to my online backup ftp storage to my domain?

snaptec

Guru
1:
Use Snapshot and (local) zfs Replikation. See the zfs replication chapter in the Manual
Zfs snapshots is your friend!
3. rsync or zfs replication is your friend again.
What Kind of offsite storage do you have?

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.