Question: Deleting large files from CIFS

Status
Not open for further replies.

C. Callaway

Dabbler
Hi all! I am still a bit new to FreeNAS although I am getting more comfortable with it each day :)

One of the primary uses of my NAS system is to backup a couple of computers data. I am at a point where I want to delete all the backups from one PC. Is there a "proper way" to delete these files to ensure that the space is automatically available? Or can I just access the files from the network (via a windows PC) and manually just delete them?

PS: I am not sure if this is relevant to answering my question, but I do have snapshot running every hour (frequency) and keeping the snapshots for 2 weeks.

Thanks for any response in advance guys!

CC

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
You can use the command line(faster) or browse the share from a client(slower), but you will want to delete those snapshots for that dataset if you want to see the space available immediately. Assuming you're using individual datasets for each machine's backups, you could just delete the dataset for that machine and create a new one

C. Callaway

Dabbler
Thanks for the response. I do have individual dataset, and I like your idea of deleting that and starting fresh for that specific CIFS.

Status
Not open for further replies.