Can't Delete Files: Error with iTunes on NAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

TexasEx

Dabbler
I have folders on my FreeNAS that I am unable to delete. Any time I attempt to delete a folder within a specific directory I receive the following message.

The operation can’t be completed because the item “filename.tmp” is in use.

I have rebooted the attached workstations as well as the server and I am having no luck deleting the files.

Any ideas?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Post the following:
  • Hardware Specifications
  • Version of freenas
  • File sharing protocol being used
  • Relevant log entries (located under /var/log/)
  • Configuration file (if CIFS /usr/local/etc/smb4.conf)

TexasEx

Dabbler
  • AMD Fx4300 Quad Core with 8GB RAM; 2 x 2TB Hard Drives
  • FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201501151844
  • CIFS Share
I do not see the file you are mentioning. Nothing shows up on the console messages when I attempt to delete the files.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
If you want the big hammer method you can use the terminal and delete the file. This will always work but might not solve the bigger issue of who has that file open.

Before you do that can you tell us the exact file? I would hate for you to delete something in the system dataset.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Run 'smbstatus' from CLI. Use the output to find out which user / IP address has an oplock on the file. It would also be good to see your smb4.conf file. Is this directory only accessed via cifs?

TexasEx

Dabbler
Yes, it is only accessed via CIFS. It appears that some of the folders are set to Read Only based on the SMB status and it is happening from the workstation I am using now.

I have a 2nd AFP share but that only accesses a different directory on the Volume.

EDIT: I accessed the folder from my Windows machine and was able to change the files away from read only. Hopefully once this finishes applying the attributes I will be able to delete the files.

Last edited:

TexasEx

Dabbler
Update: I was able to delete the files and now things are working normally.

Thank you for your help.

TexasEx

Dabbler
Another update: Things still seem to be acting up. I have learned a little more now with the CLI and have been able to navigate around and thought I fixed some things but I am still having some of the same problems. Attached is the SMB4 file you requested earlier.

Attachments

• smb4 config file.txt
    1.7 KB · Views: 235

TexasEx

Dabbler
I have iTunes media files located on the FreeNas box. Within iTunes I receive and error if I try to download a song or app saying there is a network error. After that happens, I am unable to delete the folder from the iTunes download folder because "it is currently in use"

I have an AFP share set up under a different dataset that is not involving the directory in question. Based on what I can see in Finder or File Explorer, I can see the AFP directory from the CIFS share but cannot see any of the CIFS files from the APF share (only used for Time-Machine)

I hope that clears it up some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TexasEx

Dabbler
Can anyone else provide some insight here? I have changed the protocol to SMB2. Nothing is working.

Status
Not open for further replies.