Problem with permissions in windows

MarkOney

Cadet
Problem with permissions in windows

New to FreeNAS and UNIX

I built a freeness server using a Dell Compaq Pro 6000 SFF
It has 16 gig of ddr2
I have installed 2 WD red 6 TB drives running at the recommended (by FREENAS) configuration which is mirrored. (I believe that is RAID 1)

Everything seemed to be working just fine then I updated from FreeNAS 11.3 U1 to 11.3 U2.

Now I am unable to edit or delete files that were created before the update. In some folders I can create/edit/save files but in others I am unable to do so.

I’ve been searching the forums and internet for a couple of days now and can’t find a solution. My current thought is to wipe the hard disk and start over.

For instance I have a file \NAS\Backups\T3500-FULL\D\Steam\Steam\cached\steamui_postlogon_brazilian.txt. This file was created on 4/1/2020 as part of a full backup I am unable to edit/rename/delete this file. When I attempt to delete it I receive a message “You require permission from FREENAS\nobody to make changes to this file”.

However I am able to edit \NAS\Backups\T3500001\D\Steam\Steam\cached\steamui_postlogon_brazilian.txt. This file was created on 4/18/2020 as part of an incremental backup. This is just a random text file I decided to play with. This file is much deeper in the directory tree than the one I cannot delete or edit.

It seems to me if I have permission to edit the file deeper in the tree structure I should have permission to edit the one only 2 levels down. The main difference I see is the date. I updated FREENAS on 4/12/2020.

SO the question is: How do I get my permissions set back to where they allow me to edit/append all of my files.

As an added note I copied the Backups folder to a new folder names Backups Temp on 4/16/2020. I added a new text document to that directory on 4/17/2020 but today I can’t and a new file.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Mark

What user are you using to map these drives? What groups does this user belong to?

MarkOney

Cadet
Thanks for the reply :~)

My user name is MarkNAS
The Group is MarkAdmin
These are the same as before the update.
I am not 100% sure the update caused the problem but I am not sure what else it could have been.
It might just be a coincidence that it started about the same time as the update.

MarkOney

Cadet
I did service work for Xerox for 40+ years so I know there are no absolutes in troubleshooting. That is the reason I am not 100% sure the update caused it.

I think in freenas you should likely just add the auxillary group nogroup to your MarkNAS user (perhaps other pertinent groups as well). The backup files are likely being created as nobody:nogroup (if you can, confirm this) based on the fact nobody owns your text file example, my guess is nogroup is the group owner and MarkNAS does not own the file or belong to nogroup. Make sense?

SF or WF for Xerox?

MarkOney

Cadet
I'm not sure what you mean by SF or WF. I was a direct employee servicing copiers and printers.

MarkOney

Cadet
Your statement does make sense. I added nogroup and nobody (the group) as auxiliary groups. Unfortunately that has not resolved the problem. I have also noticed when changing shares I sometimes need to log out of Windows and log back in so I tried that also. I am going to restart FreeNAS to see if that helps. Not much hope for that but resets and restarts are free.

Small format or wide format. Im involved in wide format.

MarkOney

Cadet
I mentioned I copied my Backups data set to Backups Temp. When I try to delete anything in that folder i get a message ""You require permission from S-1-5-21-1602109614-..." and it goes on for another 25 digits or so

MarkOney

Cadet
You know I worked in a somewhat rural area. I worked on desktop copiers to Docutech's. Color and b/w. I was trained on a number of WF's but only worked on them a small amount. Do you work for Xerox on an independent dealer?

I work on mostly IT stuff for the company but they are a dealer in WFP stuff.. HP, Oce, Xerox, Kip, Konica, Contex

MarkOney

Cadet
I had a friend that left Xerox for personal reasons years ago and after a few years went to work for MetroRepro here in Texas for a few years before coming back to Xerox.

Id try to use the smb.conf to force your user on those shares, especially if its just you who uses this server.

At the bottom of the share configuration in the FreeNAS GUII, way at the bottom there is an Auxillary Paramenters Field. Try adding

force user = MarkNAS
force group = MarkAdmin

You might then want to restart smbd after that

Last edited:
Im not sure,, if you had a user in freenas that matched your windows user, i think you could be rid of this. Youd be able to authenticate shared drives with your normal windows user and creds. Freenas does not know who your Windows user is, and likewise Widows doesnt know who your FN user is. Its why you are seeing these big numbers as users or nobody.
You require permission from S-1-5-21-1602109614-..."

Common user with same windows password for both i think is the answer.. But I dont have a single Windows Computer to test this. I had a couple beers so I hope this makes sense.

It would be helpful to see what user/group owns the files from this path \NAS\Backups\ on the freenas side of things, maybe even a few directories deeper too..

Maybe these directories are 700 and group access is 86'd

MarkOney

Cadet
John,

One of the problems I was having was using shell to find directories. Once I figured out I could "cd \mnt" which was not showing up with the ls -l command I was on my way. Long story short I checked owner of Backups and was able to chmod it recursively to MarkNAS. That fixed my access problems to my Backups directory/dataset. I really appreciate your help. I would not have figured it out if you had not asked who owns the files.

NOW I have one more question maybe you can help me with at your convenience. Why doesn't /mnt show up in the FreeNAS root directory when using the ls -l command.

Its after 2am here I'm headed for bed.

Thanks again,
Mark

It will be there. the root directory is always just / . So do cd / && ls -l and you will see it.