Deleting files from storage Permission issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

ify

Dabbler
Hello kind community... I am having an issue, Nas was working just fine 2 days ago, now I am unable delete files from my storage, I believe I am using CFIS and NFS services are active I have my drives mounted I can see the folders on my windows and mac computer, but I am unable to delete files.

Windows tells me that I require permission from unix user\root to make changes to this folder.

I am running version FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE

Can anyone help I am still a newbie at this.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Well for starters, you haven't provided any relevant information.

I can only assume you are having issues with CIFS but since even you don't know how you're accessing the share, we really don't know your setup.

What have you changed in the last 2 days?

Also, waiting 2 hours to bump your own post is considered bad forum etiquette. Please don't bump your threads so soon.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
rm -r /path/to/file/to/delete

ify

Dabbler
Well for starters, you haven't provided any relevant information.

I can only assume you are having issues with CIFS but since even you don't know how you're accessing the share, we really don't know your setup.

What have you changed in the last 2 days?

Also, waiting 2 hours to bump your own post is considered bad forum etiquette. Please don't bump your threads so soon.

I'm sorry, I really haven't changed anything, by the way I reinstalled freenas to see if issue is fixed but no go... I get error you need permission from unix user\media to make changes

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
There's probably a thousand+ threads on this forum dealing with permissions on CIFS shares....have you tried reading any of them? Or the official documentation?

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
yes I have none have helped.
Out of reading all that information none of it has helped?

Out of all that reading you did, you still don't know how to provide the information people need to help?

It's a permissions issue.

Verify the permissions are correct and provide the volunteers of this forum with some information so that they can help you!

ify

Dabbler
Look man calm down, I'm new to this ok. Look I had a friend help me set this up. I have all my permisions set. user name is media, have storage that's media, I can accesss using CIFS but I cant make changes to it, like deleting files, this has never been an issue 2 days ago it just changed, I restored freenas today so I could set it back up but still unable to dele files saying I don't have the permission, what else do you want to know?

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
You had a friend set it up?

Why not have that friend fix it for you?

What have you done to actually troubleshoot this issue?

What do the dataset permissions look like?

What user are you logging in with?

What type of dataset is this? Windows or Unix?

What are your settings?

What hardware are you running this on?

What do the logs say?

Have you tried resetting permissions and rebooting your client?

Details dude. That's all we need are some details.

You have basically walked into a mechanic shop and said "it doesn't work".

ify

Dabbler
Friend not around, I have read write execute checked, using CIFS with windows checked, where would loogs be? how do I reset permissions, I reseted freenas to default wouldn't that reset permissions? I login my server with root and password.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
OK.

I don't think you are understanding what I am asking.

What account do you use to connect your Windows machine to your FreeNAS share? NOT the web gui.

If you have 'Windows' checked as the dataset type, you need to manage everything from a Windows client.

http://doc.freenas.org/9.10/freenas_sharing.html#windows-cifs-shares

I assume this is just you on your own network? Do you really need permissions and accounts configured?
http://doc.freenas.org/9.10/freenas_sharing.html#configuring-unauthenticated-access

If you require having user permissions, then you need to follow this:
http://doc.freenas.org/9.10/freenas...henticated-access-without-a-domain-controller

Found in the same documentation:
http://doc.freenas.org/9.10/freenas_services.html#troubleshooting-cifs

where would loogs be?
logs on nearly any UNIX-like system would be in /var/logs....
I reseted freenas to default wouldn't that reset permissions
not necessarily....all you did was change what users you had configured in FreeNAS

maglin

Patron
Ify you clearly haven't read it don't understand. It's a permission issue. When you access the same you need to use the username and password for the user/group that has write access to that share. On Windows you usually have to delete your CIFs credentials when you makes changes as the last ones used to access that share are cached.

You also need to provide system specs when you ask questions. And "specs in sig" doesn't work as a lot like myself are on Tapatalk and can't see signatures. If you don't have at least 8GB of ram you will experience strange errors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.