Question about sharing on both NFS and SMB

Marco3G

Dabbler
Hi everyone

I am in the process og cleaning up my setup. So far I've had some less than standard configurations on my datasets and shares. /////i had the datasets set to case sensitivity, while still sharing via SMB, no user concept and so on.

I am trying to fix that.

Where I had one big fileshare before, I am now splitting this into different datasets.

So I made a dataset called "media", which I set to SMB so ACL mode is Restricted, and case sensitivity is off.
I gave it the group owner mediarw with gid 1005.

Mounting via SMB works like a charm.

I set ACL to what you see in the screenshot.

So On my Jellyfin server, I used to mount the old media directory as a read only NFS share. This is still working despite the Jellyfin VM listing owner and group as 1111 respectively... so it seems I never did create local users or groups corresponding with TrueNAS.

When I mount the new media directory, I can see the sub datasets within and two testfiles I put there. One of them is a text file with some characters. These testfiles have user id 1001. The user I used to create them on windows. The sub dataset Movies is currently being filled with data.
I did a mapalluser to root and mapallgroup to mediarw.

I created the local group 1005 and put the Jellyfin user in it.

So right now all the files except the two test files have user root and group mediarw.

With my ubuntu user on Jellyfin uid 1000 I can cat the test textfile. I can browse the old NFS mount with uid:gid 1111:1111. I cannot browse the Movies sub dataset in the new mount. It is listed as empty.

Even with a sudo, which should then use root, the list is empty. Same if I do sudo su - root.

fstab:
fqdn:/mnt/newstorage/nas/Media /mnt/Media nfs defaults 0 0 # old
fqdn:/mnt/newstorage/media /mnt/Media2 nfs defaults 0 0 #new

I'm certain I'm doing something very stupid that is very obvious to you all but I'm plain out of ideas...

Is it just a stupid idea to create datasets under a dataset in the first place?

Attachments

• media ACL.PNG
    media ACL.PNG
    57.5 KB · Views: 33

Marco3G

Dabbler
I'm five minutes before bedtime and I think I figured it out.

Since these are other datasets they're like other devices mounted into the root filesystem tree. NFS doesn't just automatically traverse these.

I made an export for the Movies folder directly and mounted that and now it works. It has an dded benefit: Instead og having to move all 8TB of media in one go, I now just mounted the new Movies folder over the old one. Jellyfin is none the wiser :D.

Hope this helps someone else in the future.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
NFS doesn't just automatically traverse these
NFS is fundamentally per filesystem/dataset and there is no way around that.

Marco3G

Dabbler
Hence the mounting each dataset individually. That is the way around that :D