Share & Mount - I need your help

jolanda7150

Dabbler
Hello,
I do have a hard time figuring out how I should share/mount in my use case. Please help me figuring out a reliable way.
On my desktop I simply share as SMB and mount with cifs uid+gid to my user. Works fine, all good.

Now I need a reliable way for my servers. Typically two shares will be mounted to each server/vm: app and backup.
The application writes some runtime data and config to *app* and backups will be saved on *backup*.
I'm using TrueNAS Core and all the clients are linux servers.
On TrueNAS I've configured a user *appname* which has access to *app* and *backup*.

My main questions are:
- Should I use SMB/CIFS or NFS?
- How should I mount it so that client's user *appname* has access to it?

The SMB approach I use for my workstation does not work here, since the client user will have an unknown uid+gid. For sure I can manually find that out, but it will not be consistent across installs. And since I automate everything, another way would be preferably.
One thing I thought I can do is to create a group on the client, put the appuser in that group and mount the share with this gid. Will this result in full rw access to the mount?

So I thought I will try NFS and shared the two directories (NFSv4 enabled, NFSv3 ownership model enabled, port 111 and 2049 opened).
For the shares I've set mapall user/group to *appname* (which is a user/group on both TrueNAS and the client)

On the client I mounted:
- 10.0.0.100:/mnt/tank/apps/myapp to /mnt/myapp
- 10.0.0.100:/mnt/tank/backups/myapp to /mnt/myapp-backup

those mounts appear like so:
Code:
d---------@ - root root 22 Okt 14:57  myapp/
drwxr-xr-x  - root root 22 Okt 14:54  myapp-backups/

- my appuser can write to the first mount, but not to the second.
- They are both configured in exactly the same way... why the difference?!
- Why do the permissions on the first directory look like this? For file they look even weirder: .---------@ 0 1006 root

So tl/dr: I didn't have success with either SMB nor NFS.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
You can create users and groups with specific IDs. Since those IDs are the actual values anyway, I would certainly specify them as part of the automation.

jolanda7150

Dabbler
That is not an option here. I am not in control of which uid/gid the service user will receive.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
Interesting. Just out of curiosity, can you elaborate on the background?

jolanda7150

Dabbler
wow... I just realized that its possible to provide username + group as uid + gid, instead of the numbers...
This works for me just fine.